icon

Molding in a Wide Body Kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Is that the space between the door and the rear fender that needs to be lengthed to make it fit? Looking good so far homey. What color you gonna spray after it's all together?
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

I just put on the bottom part of the right side.  That is all the pieces for that side.  Now for the custom extension and sanding.

Molding in a Wide Body Kit - Page 3 -- posted image.

The top and bottom door pieces fit perfect.  Tommorow, I am going to have the other side on, shave my antenne, and make the piece for the 3 inch gap on the sides.  I might also start to mold it all in, or just sand down the car.

"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to repaint it the same color.
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

any updates?

would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
Looks awesome, can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck.
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, I have covered the gaps with some wire mesh.  I sanded down the overlap in the rear that covers up part of the tail lights.  But, my work has been delayed because I can not fiberglass on the military base (at the autoshop none the less) so I will have to do it at a friends house.  And with gas prices latley.  This sucks.  I will hopefully have it down this week.  I will post pics when I have a chance.

turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, I am almost done.  It took much, much longer than I thought.  I am having a body guy do the rest of the work as it takes way to long to do this by yourself.  The guy doing my car is awesome.  He is sanding it done as we speak and I told him yesterday, I want it finished today.  He was suppose to get done with it on Tuesday, but it has been raining.  It was suppose to get preimered on Wensday, but rain again.  And today it was suppose to get painted.  More rain!!!  We have been working extremely hard on this for about 2 weeks strait.  I almost took leave to get it done.  I HAVE to get it done before this huge car show coming up.  Seeing hoem I am the first Avenger with the wide body kit, I should take home 1st, again....

uz2bauto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

wish i would have seen this sooner...you probably should have used a fusor product (adhesive/filler) to bond the kit to the metal. the substrate(fiberglass/plastic) will actually tear before the bond breaks where the two are stuck together at. just using fiberglass will work for a while

paint and body       
"semi-professional"
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
uz2bauto wrote:

wish i would have seen this sooner...you probably should have used a fusor product (adhesive/filler) to bond the kit to the metal. the substrate(fiberglass/plastic) will actually tear before the bond breaks where the two are stuck together at. just using fiberglass will work for a while

I did.  Oh, and here is a sneak peak:

Will be finished tomorrow.  Was suppose to be finished last Friday, but it rained again.  Filling the gap took some time, but it is on there extremely well.  The whole top of the kit, all the way around the car is molded in.  Tomorrow, the bottom is going to be complete.  Today we spot-filled, filled in the gaps to the doors (95% complete on that), filled in the gaps on the rear (95% complete on that)  100% done molding in the top pieces (doors and rear fenders!  :) , 0% on the bottom :( . Very good progress today, will post pics tomorrow if we get done before it gets dark out.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic