icon

Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
o0odvs1o0o 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I did a search on the Z1- it looks like it is currently available! I wish I would've been able to get the Z1 at the time, instead of my N2!! oh well, next time... the hdd instead of a dvd is SO MUCH BETTER! DVD nav sucks... Im going to be getting the BMW X5 within the next year or so, I never buy brand new, I get my cars at 1 year old, so a majority of the cost comes off but the car is still brand new with a warranty... SO, if this X5 does not have any nav, I will definitly be getting the Z1, BUT ONLY if there is a bypass mod for the nav functions and watching movies (for passengers) while driving.. anyone know what the deal is with the Z1 nav? is there a mod for this? Thanks!
whtcrxghst 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

At CES, they said a very small amount of Z1s will ship in March, but more readily available in April.  Probably won't know anything about a bypass until then

o0odvs1o0o wrote:
I did a search on the Z1- it looks like it is currently available! I wish I would've been able to get the Z1 at the time, instead of my N2!! oh well, next time... the hdd instead of a dvd is SO MUCH BETTER! DVD nav sucks... Im going to be getting the BMW X5 within the next year or so, I never buy brand new, I get my cars at 1 year old, so a majority of the cost comes off but the car is still brand new with a warranty... SO, if this X5 does not have any nav, I will definitly be getting the Z1, BUT ONLY if there is a bypass mod for the nav functions and watching movies (for passengers) while driving.. anyone know what the deal is with the Z1 nav? is there a mod for this? Thanks!

bansheebc 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Well its for sure. Like i said earlier i am a MECP installer (was) so i went up to the place my buddy who is a first class installer works and where i used to work and we went over this forum and decieded to try this on my N2 and its true, its a 30 second mod and it works, just ground the parking wire and clean off those conacts with alchy and a flathead and drop some solder on there and bingo, i put it back in and bam works like it should work, nav, dvd all works while driving, so dont fret about doin it it works
mrailing 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
I have also done this on mine, strictly for the ability of changing the NAV without having to put the ebrake on.
I used the circuit tracing pen, since I had one handy and was out of solder. Worked like a charm and took a matter of 30 seconds to trace the two points.
I then cut the ground wire and attached a hidden switch in my console (near a few other hidden switches I have). This allows me to do a couple of things. If the switch is in the off position you must use the ebrake to ground the AVIC-N2. I did this for a couple of reasons. If someone borrows my car, I make sure the switch is in the off position so they can't watch movies or adjust the Navigation, they MUST have the ebrake on to change it. Also I do this so that if someone else is in the car traveling with me I can flip the switch so they can watch video on the front screen.
To do a switch like this, all you do is get a on/off switch of your liking. Go to a small electronics store or Radio Shack and get a 12 Volt compaitible switch. I prefer the little plastic button switches. They have a small surface area and don't stick up far. On the back of the switch on the off side, wire both the ground wire from the back of the stereo and the wire going to the ebrake. So in the off position is works like it would if you had it directly to the ebrake. On the on side, run a wire straight to the ground. Then when the switch is on, it's grounded always, and when off only grounded when the ebrake is on.
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

I did the bypass on the D1 Friday. the empty space for the wire was above the ground wire and next to the yellow wire. make sure you hit the reset button when you power up the D1.  very easy and it works!

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
if done correctly, will there still be a display that pops up and tells you that the unit detected your parking brake wire is incorrectly hooked up?  I just finished this install and all seems to be working fine, but that message pops up.
dreaddi 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't been here for awhile but still read the emails and yes it works...the message will popup but just hit ok or thru voice say ok and its gone until next car startup.  I have all my Nav function as it should have been from the start and dvd while i drive. No toggles or switches but i read a post to remove control when letting a friend drive your vehicle. I am going to instal such safety feature in my setup for my insurance will not be the backbone allowing them the free will to be careless in my monthly payments or paid vehicle. It just simple works so find someone to do it for you and lets move on to the next issue...

Is the N3 bypassable or not? Are the new models going to have a blockout for us folks wanting total control over our products?

Come Correct or Get Checked
ron_s 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know if there are any ill effects when you upgrade the N1 to V50 and then reset and reinstall back to the V40 version?   Does this reset the learned data in the 3D?  Is there a problem running V50 when you want the extra map data and then reset/reinstall back to V40 when you want the ability to watch movies or input destinations while you drive? 
Ron
viet 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  
i messed mine up :(  i cleaned it up with alcohol before i soldered but i guess there was still a lot of insulation on there cause i could not get the solder to stick.  the solder sucked the leads up and theres no more dots there to solder together, is there any way i can still bypass using this method?  the n2 still works like normal.
deenasty 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
its funny I did this mode, with the aluminum foil and tape, so It can easily be removed if the unit needs to be sent back for repair, and it worked great for about 2 weeks, and now it no longer works.  I drive and it shuts the dvd off.  I pulled the silver sticker back and the mod is still in place.  Anyone know what this could be?
Page of 28

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic