icon

MTX vs JL vs Alumapro

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chrisAWD 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
i a big mtx amp fan.    subs are pretty good too. MTX is trying to make a living off of showing how there stuff outperforms JL at each pricepoint.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

Just out of curiosity,  why do you guys hate JL so much?  Maybe it's a matter of perspective, but as somewhat of an insider in the industry I have a lot of respect for JL.  They have an incredible engineering team that has produced some great technilogical advances as can be seen in the W7.  Most of their competitors claim technological superiority, but really are just one more flavor of the same old stuff.

And as for the post above, anybody can see that MTX's comparisons are purely  marketing.  If JL chose that type of approach, they could easily spin it to where their subs were the superior choice.  Most of the "points" MTX makes have negatives as well that they just so conveniently forget to add.  An example of this is their claim  that the rubber surround is superior.  However foam provides better rigidity for a given weight, costs less, and lasts longer.  As for excursion, let's compare a 13W7 to a 15" 9500 and see which wins.  MTX vs JL vs Alumapro - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
i jsut personally don't like their sound, and feel that they are a little overpriced, but if they are affordable to you, and you like them, they are a good speaker. jl makes a quality product, and if it is avalabile via local dealer, it wouldn't be a bad choice. that and i really don't like mtx. i would presonally reccomed kicker or eclipse, or maybe a few other brands, because from what i've seen and heard you get better preformance for your money. i just figured that there was a reason that only certian brands were mentioned in the original post.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  

I tend to like JL Audio mainly because they produce loud, clear subs, and thats typically what i look for. i've had 2 JL Audio Subs so far and i wouldnt trade them for anything. the way i look at it is that the bass that they produce in relation to the wattage they require is a good balance. Given i have heard a few different MTX subs throughout my car audio experience, i feel i can compare them sufficiently. MTX tends to have more booming bass versus the JL with clear bass output. it always depends on what you're looking for in a sub, and obviously how much you are willing to pay.

2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Don't be haters people! JL AUDIO RULZ!!! MTX vs JL vs Alumapro - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I hate on JL because i feel they are overpriced for the product they put out. Don't get me wrong, some products they put out are nice, but to a budget spender and someone who knows what is better for the money, they are wayyy over priced. I took my TC9's over W7's anyday. I can't stand JL and i hate on the people that think that there is nothing better in this world than it and that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Fact is, there is always something bigger and better out there, and it doesn't have JL's name on it.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

Is higher prices a reason to hate a company?  After all, you don't have to buy their subs.  And as far as I've noticed, everybody does the same thing as those JL owners you describe above.  Everyone thinks that they have the best sub.  I know I do. MTX vs JL vs Alumapro - Page 2 -- posted image.

And knowing a little bit about speaker engineering, I feel that the W7 is one of the better subs on the market.  Very few subs can come close to it's high output/low distortion performance because of the innovative technologies used in it.  TC Sounds makes a good sub that is almost impossible to break.  We have measured several of them.  However I would personally take a W7 over any of their subs because I feel it is better engineered.

Sliced bread is still the best though.  Especially toasted with some melted butter and cinamon and sugar sprinkled on top. MTX vs JL vs Alumapro - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
To me, its a reason to definitely hate them. Its really expensive for one of their drivers, and to me, definitely not worth it. Thats why I hate it, me! I do, yes, me! I hate JL. I disagree with the engineering part of the W7 v. the TC9. I feel the TC9 is better engineered. I've seen very few TC9's getting repaired as to when i see W7's always blowing up. Dual 1.5 ohm voice coils and DVC3 turn my switch right off as well.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

Like I said, the TC subs are built like tanks and hard to break.  When I was talking about better engineered, I was talking about performance.  Everything about the W7 is well engineered to perform it's best.  There are many little things that TC Sounds likes to do on their subs which I disagree with and actually hurt performance rather than help IMO.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  

the bottom line is personaly oppionin. wether of not ou think it sounds good. the sound should determine a persons opinion about a speaker, not price.  although i factor that into my evaluation of JL product, it's not the main reason i don't like their product. i don't like sony subs either, not because they are so cheap i lose sales to them and their red flashy color just begs idiots to put them in sweet rides like this. ( which made me sick to do) they sound bad.

MTX vs JL vs Alumapro - Page 2 -- posted image. MTX vs JL vs Alumapro - Page 2 -- posted image.                                                                            

a companys marketing or price points, their salesmans slicker than snot on a glass doorknob ptch shouldn't mean shhh. just how the speaker sounds. thats whats improtant, because at the end of the day, when your car backs out of the install bay, the speaker is the only think that leaves with you.           

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic