icon

begginer with installing alarms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
In my opinion t-taps suck, and are pretty much a joke to ever real installer i've talked to...only the rush em in rush em out shops use t-taps and scotch locks...
I use my strippers, expose the wire, take my test light and poke a hole in the wire..feed wire from alarm into target wire, wrap around a few times, tape, zip tie over it...works great.
Some installers do this method and even solder over the tap and heat shrink tube it...even better...actually that's the only "right" way.
P.S. no the test light isn't clipped to anything like ground or constant when i poke through the wire, i get asked that so much, dunno why, thought i'd clear that up.
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
cool thats the kinda thing i was looking to hear thanks dude
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Muilty meter is another important tool. Check everything before soddering. As for T-Tabs i don't like to use it for remote start wires simply because its like the difference between bondo and lead. On low abuse areas bondo is just fine but some places you have to use lead. But try to keep everything neat. Plan before even starting. And just follow the wiring guide and instructions
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Solder
godblessdremil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Its a metaphore sodering makes a better more secure connection. While T-tabs continuity to the wire might lesson over use and time.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Its a metaphore sodering makes a better more secure connection. While T-tabs continuity to the wire might lesson over use and time.
SOLDER AND T-TAPS
fpcelica 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
so solder and shrink wrap is what is recomended? i was reading the manual say dont use wire taps or electrical tape but i was thinking how else to do you do it. and didnt say what the right way was to do it
godblessdremil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
You can use electrical tape for the covering of sodder and a ghetto shrink wrapping. They mean don't use electrical tape to hold the connection there. You have no idea how much i seen this. I just did install yesterday a viper 5000 with a 561t remote start add on on a 97 expedition, there was an alarm in before with a starter kill well the guy reconnected the starter wire with some random black 8 gauge guy didn't use a lone connector or budd connectors, just tape. Not to mention when he took out it out and cut wires from the ignition harness he left a 12 volt constant exposed.
fpcelica 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
does ne one use coldheat soldering iron or whatever its called... do you like it?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic