icon

HO Alternator or Capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Samt18 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
yes ive got a 3 year warranty on the subs and amp, and if they keep on blowin im just gonna keep on takin em up there cause they are the ones that dont know what the hell they're doin.  so is it pretty much a concensus here that the gains are probably the problem?  im trying to find out for sure what the problem is so i can get it fixed before i leave for college
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
also, the guy up at the shop suggested wiring the subs to 4 ohms, as opposed to 1.  i guess that would keep them from blowin, but i think i would lose a lot of bass and i didn't spend $1100 to have crappy bass
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
you will lose a ton of power if you wire it at 4 ohms and ya for $1100 on subs and amp it should be loud and clear and its gotta be the gains
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
ok thats what i thought.  i do have the factory deck in there as well, so im sure thats already killin some of my power.  this whole system is just screwed up and its pissin me off...i dont know what else to do.  i dont have the money for an alternator and they wont keep replacin these subs forever so ive gotta figure somethin out fast
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

the factory H/U is not a problem its just that the signal going to your amp is 1.5 volts instead of 4 volts from a good aftermarket H/U but thats what gains are for look at the gain and you should find that there is numbers for preamp voltage try to get the gain set for a 1.5 volt input that should stop the subs from blowing and i would suggest playing your system at lower levels and mid volume levels to breakin your subs also what is the bass setting on your H/U if its turned up that could make for a bad signal to your amp i would set the bass on the H/U so it is almost all the way down and for the power problem i would try a optima yellow top if you can spend a $100 bucks i only say that because you said you cant buy an alternater right now

Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
ok i'll see if that amp is put on 1.5 volts tomorrow.  and the bass on my head unit was turned all the way up, which probably didnt help matters.  im gonna have to turn either the amp gains or the head unit down so i dont blow the new subs.  which would you suggest?  i guess i could do both, but if im gettin a bad signal from my head unit then i should probably turn the bass down on that a little then on the amp as well.  well yeh i can spend $100 but ive got nowhere to put it and where would i get one for $100?
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
ok the factory H/U is getting you about 1.5 volts a good aftermarket H/U will get you 4 volts and that is what the gain is for  if you look at the gain you should see settings for preamp voltage get it set for 1.5 volts and set the bass on your H/U so it is almost all the way down that will help with  a better signal to your amp and for your power problem i would try a opitima yellow top it won't fix the problem but it should help and it will cost about $100 bucks if you can spend that i know your way over budget hope this helps
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
yeh man that helps a lot.  where can i get a yellow top for $100 though, and where could i put it?  i guess you wouldnt know where to put it, but do i need to connect it to the alternator or does it recharge itself?  i have no idea on that type of thing
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
ok the bass on the H/U turn it all the way down then maybe turn it back up just a little and for the optima yellow top replace your stock battery with it and to get it for 100 bucks try to find a auto parts store that is a value parts vender worst case you will have to spend like 140 for a exide orbital at checker thats one thing i noticed about the explorer that i installed a similer setup in that the battery and the battery termenals were crappy and i replaced just the termenals and there was inprovement if you can't get one of those batterys get the battery with the most CCA's that will fit under the hood of your explorer and about the gain you are most likly not going to find a setting for 1.5 but for 2 volts so go just a little bit higher than that good luck
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2005 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
ok i looked on the amp this morning and didnt see anything about 1.5 or 2 volts.  ive got all my gains and stuff on one end of the amp and that wasnt there...could it be on the bottom maybe?  also, what's the difference between a yellow top and my normal battery?  i know they're different, but is it just bigger or stronger or what?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic