icon

how do you stealth install?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
just remember the alarm is only as good as the install. you may have the best clifford or viper or what have you, but if you let bob from hack-n-shack car audio install it you will have spent all that money for nothing.
Hickmanae3 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have learned that there aint such way to do a sleath install. Because If you was a real smart car theft the first thing a person should go for is the fire wall and cut the power wire going to the brain. Therefore giving you all the time in teh world to disarm and remove the starter kill and so much more. So if a person doesnt have a back up siren that then there pretty much SOL.
No security system can beat the tow truck :(
suspendedHatch 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
First of all, why are you running the power through the firewall? You can find any number of sources for a constant 12v from inside the cabin.
I never realized that this thread developed so much. Anyway thanks for the praise.
What was said about hot wiring the car downstream of your starter kill is serious. Starter kills on the steering column are pretty ineffective. You can put the relay right next to the starter itself for either your alarm or a kill switch, but if they see it it's not going to do you much good. I usually hook up the starter kill to the main relay because it's very concealed, it's downstream of the usual hot wiring point, and it's not what they're expecting. Then I back this up with other things like a fuel pump kill switch.
You can put the alarm in the trunk or wherever you want, but this is going to overextend the starter kill wiring. A lot of the alarms are incorporating the starter kill relay into the brain. So you'll need to run the alarm's key side start input to either ign 12v or the key side of the starter wire, and run the alarm's starter motor output to the 85 on a relay, the 86 to chassis ground. Then cut the starter wire and connect one end to the 30 and the other end to the 87. This also gives you the opportunity to convert it to a normally open start kill by using the 87a if your alarm doesn't otherwise allow it.
I think it's important that the battery backup has it's own trigger. This is why I recommend the battery backup module over the battery backup siren. It's possible to get past the hood pin and disconnect the battery without triggering the alarm. This allows the thief to work in silence. If you add a battery backup siren, the alarm was never triggered so it's useless. Adding a battery backup module however is like adding another sensor that detects when the battery has been disconnected, triggers the alarm, and provides backup power. Some alarms have voltage sense built in so this may not apply.
I update or revise the site in some small way every month or so.
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Where would you hide the battery backup module?
"ole blake"
suspendedHatch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
The module itself is very small and is no problem to conceal. The battery I stuff into a block of styrofoam packing material and cram it in the rear quarter panel interior, which is where I usually mount the brain and the interior siren.
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
I have a dodge intrepid,and mounting the brain and stuff in the quarter panel would be to far away for the starter kill wouldn't it?
"ole blake"
suspendedHatch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
You can safely extend the starter kill if you add another relay. I just covered this a few posts up.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
1st of all, im not tryin to be guy on the top of the food chain but heres my idea...
1.main harness, lock, shutdown,disarm, BUB. might be forgettin something.
2.LED, valet, antenna, shock sensors and other sensors.
3.Remtoe start ribbon
but for those unit, thats the best i could insatl in that manner, a very neat way in every routes. its a consistent harness and help to troubleshoot, if needed, in the future.
IMPORTANT!!!!
make all your routes b4 attempt to tap to wires. that means that you have to test all ur wires w/ a DMM b4 hand. if you just tap 1 by1 and then tape to its routes, its looks like crapppp. avoid using t-taps, cause it looks like sh*t under the dash.
PEACE!!!!
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
jaketayler 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

suspendedHatch wrote:
I never realized that this thread developed so much. Anyway thanks for the praise. 

I am more of a reader and learner than a poster, but some proffesionals dont agree with some items on your website.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=004044

5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ok this is for you people that love taping up your alarm wires. OOOH REAL STEALTHY...
how do you stealth install? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic