the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Grounding kit or ground/discharge strap?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

What differences, if any, would there be to using either of these grounding techniques? Would one be better than the other or would they both work great together?

Trying to decide if I should buy/make a grounding kit for my audio system. The grounding kit seems to be a good idea, though I'm not sure about the claims of additional horsepower, less light dimming, better audio, better gas milage, etc. that I've been reading about them.

Anyone know or have an opinion?

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ha. Ha. Hahahaha.
Snake oil my friend.
Granted, have as little ground resistance possible is a good thing can improve stuff, I don't think it'll add HP, gas mileage, ect.
"Will this kit help my hurtzzzzz?/!/!//? Will I gEt mad dbezezzz??"
Paradigm 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
lol yeah I know. I was skeptical too. Just asking, more for the grounding advantages than anything else. Grounding kit or ground/discharge strap? -- posted image.
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not familier with a grounding kit Paradigm, could you elaberate a little more?
Paradigm 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SUNHG00002B.htm

Yeah, something just like that...

Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Rxzruby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
what!!  did that link just say if you had a better ground you could gain m.p.g. & h.p.?????Grounding kit or ground/discharge strap? -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
They've made a kit for the Big 3 upgrade.  Not a bad idea...but you can do it much cheaper than that.  One ground wire that should always be upgraded under the hood is the ground from battery negative to chassis, usually a foot in length or less.  Since the audio system is grounded to chassis, this ground wire should at least equal the gauge of the ground wire that the amplifiers use.  The OEM ground is usually much smaller.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Paradigm wrote:

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SUNHG00002B.htm

Yeah, something just like that...

For an extra $495.00, they'll give you a kiss to go with it... $695.00'll get you a reach-around!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Teslank 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

about hp and gas mileage i am a mechanic and you cant gain power because electrical systems dont affect the mechanical system. if you want more power port your heads add lightweight valvetrain put a real 2.5" cat back exhaust and cold air intake and performance intake and you should be good kicking some SI civics Grounding kit or ground/discharge strap? -- posted image.

but that includes 2000$ and maybe more :P

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
i have seen some real time dyno results with one of those wire kits, about 1hp increase. Because the stock grounding on the engine was so lousy it caused the computer to read the codes slower, upgradeing the ground made that little difference.  Im certain just the big 3 would do that same gain however.  
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic