icon

Best front tweeters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teslank 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

hi i currently have a a phoenix gold octane R tweeter(come with my 6.5" components) and it sounds horrible at high output.

im searching for a tweeter that reproduces voices just like if you were in front of the singing person and being capable of accepting 100RMS per channel( i have a lightning audio storm X1.800.4(100rms X 4)

i like listening at high levels but the sound of the tweeters must not seems to scream must sound smooth and accurate!.

any ideas? opinions? im on a cda-9815 wich sports a 6 band variable EQ, digital time correction and crossover.

im open to any ideas

thanks all for your time

Teslank

My car audio system

Car: Toyota Corolla 1997 sedan

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9815
Amplifier: Lightning Audio Storm x1.800.4(4 x 100 rms or 1 x 400 rms bridged + 2 x 100 rms or 2 x 400 rms bridged and can go down to 2 ohm on single channel for 200 rms)
Front Speakers: Phoenix Gold Octane R 6.5" component(70 rms max)
Rear Speakers: Pionneer 6X9 2 way coaxial(seems cheap 120w max)
Subwoofer: Lightning Audio Strike S4.12.4 (4 ohm 300 rms max)
Wiring: 4 gauge power kit upgraded battery ground, all speaker wiring on 12 gauge american bass and 12 g IXOS for sub and ixos rca's for sub and speakers
Capacitor: IXOS GT digital 1 farad

how is it connected: all speakers connected to the amp head unit internal amp not used, used front channel bridged for sub and rear channel plugged left and right speakers pluged in parallel for each side

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
There's really no such thing as a "best" ANYTHING... That being said, my expectation is the amplifier... The LA amps are not the best gear in the world... low budget Rockford Fosgate, which is garbage for highs to begin with. Also, that amp is probably more like a real-world 50 to 75wpc, not the claimed 100... How hard are you driving them?
Anyway, your 100 watt specification leaves pretty much everything out of the equation, with the exception of these. Just put a pair of them in a SportTrak, and they sound AWESOME... I think they were about 250 bucks, tho...
As a Morel fan from WAAAAYYY back, the Morel stuff is as good as I always remembered it being. High-dollar, to be sure, but high power handling and speed have always beel Morel hallmarks, and these drivers are no exception to that rule...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Good call on the Morel Renaissance tweeters, haemphyst.  I believe those tweets can be had for closer to $175 a pair.  I love the sound of all Morel drivers.  Just be sure you get the actual Morel speakers from Israel and not "Morel USA" speakers, which are not actually made by Morel.  Another high-end soft-dome that competes with the Morel is the Seas RT25F
Support the12volt.com
Teslank 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

i dont think that the high end series of lightning audio are this much crap they cost alot too i dont think they would sold a 1000$ amp that sounds like crap,

about the seas rt25f how is the listening performance? they costs alot and seems trouble to fit in my corolla because of their dimensions.

and the 100rms for the tweeter is taked off at least real 50rms

and about adjustment to the EQ of my head unit? any ideas??

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Another positive vote for the Morels. Seas are nice as well, but my personal preference goes to CDT. They make fantastic tweets. Of course Nakamichi does as well, then it comes down to a matter of hearing both sets. Me, i'd take the Euro series or the O7's over pretty much anything, unless someone was giving away a set of tweets from the SPS-6500 comp set...
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ya know Teslank, when I read your post I don't get the vibe that you need new tweeters, just that you think the sound coming from your fronts is to 'bright'... you say they "scream" right? And certain high sounds have a pitch that seems to run right through you?
I think you need to try EQ'n your tweeters a bit. I'm not so familar with that Alpine, but you have an eq built into the thing .. You need to pull out your owners manuel and figure out how to turn your highs down a bit and see if that doesn't fix ur problem. Try centering in on 10Khz or so and dropping them down -2 or -3 and see if that curve doesn't tame down those highes a bit eh?
Your amp is absolutely fine to run those componets.
Don't stress it man, EVERY componet set I've EVER owned has sounded at least a little bit bright out the box... it really is the way they're built now.
Try some eq'n and post back with your results before you start throwing $200 at phantom problems.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Teslank 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

okay i will try to eq down some of the highs!

thanks for your help all

oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
plain and simple if you can get ur hands on a pair of focal tweeters, then ur set, they are awsome
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
I got the same impression from your post as sedate did.  The first and most important thing for you to do is to make absolutely, positively SURE that the signal going to the speakers is pure and unclipped.  If you haven't used a test tone CD and set up your system with it, then do that first before replacing components for their sound quality.  And remember that clipping can come from the head unit as well as the amplifier, so finding the highest clean signal the deck can make is vital.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Teslank 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

were can i find a tone test cd for free on the internet? i have heard alot about these cds but coudnt find any

any good brands???

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic