the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Adire Extremis 6.8 Questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, our salesman likes to call it the "instant expert".  They like to brag about how rosey the bathroom smells after they use it (if you catch my drift), and you just want to run over to them and pull the nose plugs out of their nose.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I'll scratch the mids since apparently the Extremis is fairly strong. Its not like I can't add down the road.

Now recommendations to fit in the place of the Morels? I mean honestly, budget=good. $100 less would be stellar as long as they'll give a pretty damn close performance. I personally like the R Type Alpine speakers(atleast in comparison to the power series metal domes) a LOT. And I'd say something similar or a bit better might do me.

And honestly could use suggestions for amps to drive. I'm thinking this now:

Interiors:

High: Undecided. I want a good soft dome similar or better than RTypes.
Mid: Extremis 6.8
Amp/s: Not Determined

Also what else will I need to properly run this? Crossovers for example?

Edit: CSS WR125, would that be for a tweeter replacement? And isn't like 4.5" kinda big for that? Just inquiring. If it'll do the same for less $$ then I'm entirely for it.

And can someone explain to me why I'm using home audio equip? :P And will they work well enough with the amps I can get? I'd say logically yes, and you guys wouldn't suggest it if no. But I don't wanna find out some work to be done down the road. :P

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
The WR125 is more of a midrange than a tweet, although there is a full-range version called the FR125.  There is a good tweeter discussion in THIS thread.  As long as you're looking at standard mounting, Aurum Cantus makes a very nice ribbon, the G2si that might sound good in a car.  Al over at Raw Acoustics has a version of this ribbon called the RA104.5 with improved dispersion characteristics that could conceivable work better in a car.  Either matches well with an Extemis or one of the CSS drivers, and there are kits matching them.
Support the12volt.com
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Can someone PLEASE explain what the hell this ribbon stuff is? I have NEVER heard of it before...
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
A ribbon (a TRUE ribbon) driver is a very thin piece of aluminum, shaped like aa accordioned ribbon, suspended on each end. It is an EXTREMELY low impedance (effectively a dead short), and this is why you will ALWAYS see a true ribbon driver impedance matched with a transformer.
A true ribbon is an AMAZINGLY good sounding driver (I've never heard an awful one), but can be quite difficult to implement well - physical placement of the driver is critical! The car is RARELY (if ever) the best place to try implementing a true ribbon driver. They are VERY deep, and usually quite heavy.
Sometimes called a ribbon, but really a "Planar Magnetic" driver would be the Bohlender Graebner or the Swan drivers. These are drivers where the diaphragm is suspended on all four sides of the radiating surface, with the voice coil layed out flat over the surface of it.
The benefit to this is usually power handling, directly drivable by the amplifier - no transformer, and (from my experience) much easier, and wider range, implementation.
Both types are (generally speaking) very open, light, and transparent in their presentations. Vertical dispersion suffers but the horizontal dispersion is usually quite good. Ribbons are worse with vertical dispersion than are PMs, as most PMs are usually wider than the actual ribbon of a ribbon driver.
True ribbons will usually have MUCH better on-axis high frequency response, due to their MUCH lighter moving mass. They must also be installed with proper attention to up/down orientation of the ribbon, as they are ONLY suspended top and bottom.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

A ribbon tweeter is different from conventional dome tweeters in a way that its diaphragm is a ribbon of metal suspended between two magnets (or in the center air gap of one magnet.)  They do not have seperate voice coils as the ribbon is the voice coil.  There are several advantages to ribbons VS conventional tweeters, and a couple of disadvantages.  First the disadvantages, a ribbon has relatively higher cost and can be much more fragile.  But some of the many advantages include:

1. lower mass, hence higher efficiency, lower fs, wider frequency response and better transient response

2. better heat dissipation, hence better reliability and less thermal compression

3. lower inductance, hence flatter impedance and frequency response

4. homogeneous diaphragm movement, hence low distortion

5.  a "lighter, more airy" sound, due to the extended high end response and very, very fast transient response time

Ribbon fans swear they will never use another type of tweeter.  For many years they were simply too fragile for automotive use, but I have heard of people having good results with the G2 series.

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Dave, get outta my mind, ok?  Adire Extremis 6.8 Questions - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, thanks for the great responses again guys. I'll mull it over and make my decision, sounds like a plan tho.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Hey Dave, get outta my mind, ok?  Adire Extremis 6.8 Questions - Page 2 -- posted image.
I thought it was MY day to play with the brain...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
DYohn wrote:
I thought it was MY day to play with the brain...

OK, you go ahead.  I seldom use it.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic