icon

Adire Extremis 6.8 Questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I am pretty much planning on scrapping the rear speakers or maybe run the 6x9s off the deck for "fill" (meh). Not a huge concern to be honest. :) I will also be switching the Eclipse unit over to Hi/Mid/Low setup instead of F/R/Sub to do this project and I believe that will do well. So basically:

Highs: (2) Arum Cantus G2si  Ribbon Tweeter ($99.99/each)

Mids: (2) Adire Extremis 6.8 Midwoofer ($99.99/each)
Low: Undecided

High/Mid Amp: Memphis Belle 1300

Low Amp: Undecided

What exactly do IB mean? I am thinking free air(infinite baffle), but not sure. As for depth I'll check that out, if anyone has the depth spec handy that'd be great so I can look. Also what are the outside dimensions for mounting bracket?

For the tweeters, if I did the IB setup in the doors, how would I fit the tweeter in properly on axis and such? And how would I go about getting a proper crossover for this or understanding? I mean basically, this is stuff I haven't even remotely touched. Crossovers are pretty much out there except for dealing with them on my HU minorly... And I understand LPF and HPF basically... AS for how to figure out which I would need and such... That confuses me, and taking into consideration their impedance level? Sry, I'm just VERY unexperienced here and I don't wanna invest money into something and screw them up.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
Master Asylum wrote:
Yeah I am pretty much planning on scrapping the rear speakers or maybe run the 6x9s off the deck for "fill" (meh). Not a huge concern to be honest. :) I will also be switching the Eclipse unit over to Hi/Mid/Low setup instead of F/R/Sub to do this project and I believe that will do well. So basically:
That will probably be a better setup, IMHO. Not a huge fan of rear fill, either, and mine are probably coming out sometime soon as well. (Anybody reading want to buy a pair of bi-ampable (modified, slightly, by me, for this functionality) Eclipse 6993 6x9's? Still on superb condition, and perfectly functioning as well...) I don't even have them connected anymore. The only reason they are still in the car is because it is such a bear to get them out of the rear deck of an '01 Civic.
Master Asylum wrote:
Highs: (2) Arum Cantus G2si Ribbon Tweeter ($99.99/each)

Mmmmm... Not really sure how well that particualr combo is really going to work in the car. The ribbon beams on the vertical too soon to be useful at higher frequencies. This can be overcome by raising it up (WAY up) in the doors, but it might be just too long a ribbon to be practical in the car. And as capable as the Extremis is, I don't know how well it will do - sound-power wise - to cross it over high enough to match with the tweeter cross-in frequency. If REALLY set on using them, here's is a source for the ribbons for a 20 dollar savings each...
Master Asylum wrote:
What exactly do IB mean? I am thinking free air(infinite baffle), but not sure. As for depth I'll check that out, if anyone has the depth spec handy that'd be great so I can look. Also what are the outside dimensions for mounting bracket?

Yep, Infinite Baffle. They are, from back of magnet to back of mounting flange, the depth is 90.5mm or 3.63 inches. It's a deep driver, but don't let it scare you away - it's a GREAT driver, too... Mounting hole diameter is 5.79 inches, and flange diameter is 6.95 inches.
Master Asylum wrote:
For the tweeters, if I did the IB setup in the doors, how would I fit the tweeter in properly on axis and such? And how would I go about getting a proper crossover for this or understanding? I mean basically, this is stuff I haven't even remotely touched. Crossovers are pretty much out there except for dealing with them on my HU minorly... And I understand LPF and HPF basically... AS for how to figure out which I would need and such... That confuses me, and taking into consideration their impedance level? Sry, I'm just VERY unexperienced here and I don't wanna invest money into something and screw them up.
As I have mentioned, there is NO WAY to install a true ribbon in a car and have it be completely reliable. Being as it is suspended on JUST THE ENDS, it will sag, if not installed perfectly vertically. This sag COULD eventually get so bad as to actually touch the motor structure, causing buzzing or other nastiness.
Looking back at the limitations of this particular tweeter for car use, I think I would try to locate a good dynamic dome tweeter. The Morel MDT-30 would be a fine choice. Also, the Vifa D-26 would be a DAMN fine choice...
Just some different options as avaialabilities...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
*sigh* So hard to decide. Because that is obv a good arguement with the mounting issue... If that is going to be a problem, I can't really afford to currently drop $200 on something I'll be switching back from in the end due to functionality issues. But as for the other recommended tweeters, I didn't see any info on them. I'll search a lil more in a few mins to see if I can find them. And well, to be honest, i'm still confused. It says fabric diaphragm meaning? I mean honestly, I'd like to stay budgetted for now and when I'm a little better set I can test out something like the G2... So obv running a little cheaper is good if it will give me a better sound(for me) than metal dome tweeters. I mean at this point I am probably going to just get a couple 6.5 R Types to temp replace my interiors unless I can do something like 250-300 for a complete switch. ($200 for extremis and $25-50 for each tweeter) Basically I'm having a huge amount of trouble deciding, and not having any local demo sucks. The mounting issue is a huge concern at this point, but I have also heard some good about the ribbons in my friend's sound system he has. I'm gonna try hearing it sometime possibly, but his wife doesn't really like me, so we'll see.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

If you really want to use the Extremis and you want a good matched tweeter and a properly designed crossover, buy a set of Exodus Audio Kit 61's.  Everything you'll need and you can toss the ports into a box for a future project.  If that's too rich for your blood, or if you plan to bi-amp and use active crossovers, buy the Extremis and a couple of decent soft dome tweeters.  "Fabric" means the tweeter is soft dome, which provides a smoother, less harsh sound than poly or metal dome tweeters.  If you do bi-amp be sure to pay careful attention to the power rating of the tweeter and it's recommended high-pass crossover point.

(Realize that different manufacturers list tweeter power ratings differently.  Some rate at "total system power" like 100 watts RMS, and others give "actual power" like 12 watts RMS.  The ones with the seemingly larger system power rating assume you will crossover at the recommended point or higher and are telling you the total system power, with 75% going to the woofer.  Almost all tweeters are actually rated for less than 20 watts themselves.)

And, if all this is simply too confusing (and building a DIY component set can be) simply buy a good quality set of components and be done with it!

Support the12volt.com
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I'm probably gonna take the approach of the Extremis combined with like the soft dome setup. As for the two recommended by haemphyst, I can't really get any good power rating info on the Morel or the Vifa. Would nominal power be the equivalent of RMS/Continous figures? Any opinions on either really? Or another really good soft dome out there? Hell if I could get the R-Type by itself, I might go there, but meh. I'd rather see what there is with less car audio name like a Morel or Vifa (At least I've never heard of them.).

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Morel and Vifa are two of the premier speaker manufacturers in the world.  The MDT 30 is a fantastic sounding tweeter.  The Vifa D-26 or 27 series is an excellent suggestion as well.  The Morel is rated for up to 200 watts system power above 2000Hz, and the Vifa is rated for up to 100 watts system power above 1500Hz.
Support the12volt.com
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

So....

Highs: (2) Morel MDT-30 ($58/each)

You are saying if it is crossed over at 2000Hz, which should be fine with the Extremis shouldn't it? Using a bi-amp setup for these, what is the next thing I will need to look at? And will my amp still work fine? Some sort of crossover for the tweeters(passive maybe?) that'll block anything below 2000Hz? And then a LPF or HPF combined with an electronic for the Extremis?

Edit: Um, duh... HPF for the tweeters for 2 channels. Stupid me. :/ So basically either a HPF or LPF for the extremis then a passive crossover to cover the opposite side? Also, what would be the suggested range for the extremis?

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
DYohn 
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I am currently using a set of 2-way speakers based on the Extremis crossed over at 3100Hz, which means it is handling everything below that frequency (the bulk of the musical spectrum.)  You can use these guys crossed anywhere up to 5KHz if you want to.  Go to the Adire web site and download the spec sheet for them if you have not done so.
Support the12volt.com
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a review on that morel tweeter.
http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mark/Testing/Tweeter4/tweeter4index.htm[/URL]
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

If you run your Extremis at 3100 and below, what happens if you encounter low Hz signals? I mean 30hz is low, but how damaging if it is encountered? I mean basically I'd kinda like to run it crossed over at 50hz and 3100Hz(Unless there is a reason anyone would have a problem with that?) Now figuring a crossover for the tweeter I'd say I'd do something like maybe around 2000hz? I mean honestly not sure if it'd be better of cutting them at the same frequency with a high drop off electronically or just do passive crossover like with a capacitor. I'd kinda like to do it electronically to get the experience with it a little but I dunno how much that would cost. So...

Highs: (2) Morel MDT-30 ($58/each)

Xover: 2000hz HPF? (Undecided.)
Xover: 50hz to 3100hz
Low: (2) 12" Kicker L5 Subwoofers (PURCHASED)
Xover: Gotta check my amp, I didn't install. Probably around 125hz/160hz LPF area.
Amp: Memphis Belle 1300

It looks like I am coming along with the plan thanks to you guys and I'm learning a bit. Though to be honest, these graphs I've seen I don't really understand. :/ But again, I appreciate the help and patience guys, very much so. The next thing I need to figure out after the crossovers are decided, I am to account for the impedance. Meaning if the driver is 8 ohm, to do a passive crossover, I need to take in effect at what frequency it affects at an 8 ohm impedance, correct?

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic