the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2ohms Kicker L5 and Kennwood Amp Ported?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eltaur2000 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

I just bought 2 Kickers12" L5's at 2ohms and I have a Kenwood KAC-7202 amp. I'm very new to this stuff are these compaitble? I'm affraid to blow my subs or damage my amp they were both very expensive. I also need to know the difference between ported and sealed? Thank YOU

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

Are those subs dual voice coil or single? What is the amps power specs?

The most common way to blow speakers is by setting the gain(s) too high which leads to a clipped signal. The other is by exceeding the speakers power handling, usually by a consideral amount.

As far as ported or sealed, you may have luck by doing a search here on the site. Generally the sealed enclosure will give a more "rounded" response, which lends itself to better sound, generally. A ported box will gain you some volume. They tend to be a little more difficult to construct as precision is imortant. I prefer the sound of a sealed enclosure, but you may be after something different with those subs... 

bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  

square=unequal distances from cone to surround=bad sq...put them in a vented enclosure tuned to about 33Hz(just my opinion for that sub)...and however you hook them up...beware...your amp will definately not be stable at 2ohm bridged...kenwood products claim..."superior overload protection circuitry"...this means...hook it up 2 ohm bridged and the 7202 will shut off...because it can't handle the current...those subs really don't sound good at all in a sealed box...true story...put two L5 12's in a sealed box for a deaf customer...literally...the guy just wanted to be able to feel the boom boom boom...no joking here...we spent about an hour and a half writing back and forth as i do not know much sign language...i tried to talk him out of it...but he jokingly wrote...dude i'm legally deaf...so...i let him buy the cheap pre-fab sealed box...2 days later...same guy comes back in...motions for pen and paper...and simply writes...you were right...i'm glad i can't hear...i could tell it sounds like crap...set me up with the right box...moral of story...uhhhhhhh...dunno...but don't go sealed...those subs will sound like a bucket of bruised dicks in a sealed box...imo

1987 Huffy...spinners...two 15's custom mounted to the back
eltaur2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks allot for the advice I'm new and I have no clue about this stuff. How should I tell my installer to hook these things up? Is getting another amop and advantage for sound or to reliefe both amps of using too much power? What do you think about adding an amp to 6x9's?

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
get your sub amp combo figured out first. you should go with another amp if those subs are dual 2 ohm. you will want somthing that can handle 2 ohms mono. for the amp on 6x9's it would benefit your system more to put a 4 channel amp on your mids and high or just a 2 channel on your front speakers. you have a few wiring options with those subs. use the woofer caculater ,and the series paralell on the left side of the screen.  so you will know all you options.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
eltaur2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thank You

mseav 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Erik Hoss from MSE Audio Video in Missouri is ranked #1 in dbDrag (in his class)  Heading to the finals on 15 Oct-Expected to hit 174db in his 16,000 lb concrete van.  All from a SQUARE SPEAKER.  4 Kicker Solo X's.  Keep the sealed enclosure small on those L5's.  You've got one of the best subs on the market, and don't let anyone else tell you different.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic