icon

Viper 2 Way problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zx2guy 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

It's not a huge problem, but definitly a very annoying one.  I've had the Viper 690 XV system (DEI has replaced it with the Viper 5000 setup, same system but with an extra remote) installed on one of my vehicles for almost a year now with no problems ever arising.

The other day I go out to unlock the car, I press the button and nothing, the remote displays the single antenna flashing (no audio chirp from the remote) showing there was no response/out of range (while I'm standing about 3m from the car).  I hit the lock button (to see if the remote is actually transmitting) and the car chripped once, I press the panic button, the alarm sounds then is silenced when I press it again.  I try to unlock again, the car unlocks, but the remote says it's still locked, then the antenna flashes again on the remote (no chirp from the remote again).  Sometimes if I quickly press a button to check the alarm status the remote will update and show the car in it's actual stated, locked or unlocked.

The lock/unlock problem happens completely randomly, sometimes I'll have to press lock 2 or 3 times before it works and it still shows that there is no response from the brain, other times it'll be the same results with the attempting to unlock the car.  And sometimes it'll work the exact way it's supposed to.
What I do know, the battery is good, the remote has not been exposed to any water and I haven't done any work under the dash lately.

Any ideas?

redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
try unhooking the ant. and pulling batt. out of remote....if that doesnt work then try different remote and see if it is still doing it......if it does it after that chances r u have a problem with the systems brain.
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
Zx2guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
So I took the car back to the shop that installed in and they replaced the brain and remote.
HOWEVER, they put in a 791 brain as that was all they had in stock. They gave me an option of buying the whole system (about 260.00+tax installed) but I don't have the cash right now. I sorta missed out on a good deal but maybe down the road I can get ahold of the wiring harnesses. If that's possible. :)
redpeppers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
dude that is a good deal for u.....the 791 is more expensive and it is a remote start....not just security
redpeppers 
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
did they give u the remote start relay pack and all the extra harness'?
Zx2guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, that's where $160 woulda come into play, then another $100 for installation... So I've got a semi useless brain sitting under my dash right now...
Zx2guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
It was a new installer I was dealing with as well. The guy that did all my work before was no longer with the company. Chances are if I bought the whole system he woulda installed it for free... If that was the case I would have bought it...
blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
if the alarm works then you have all the components for the remote start. the alarm will not see ignition power without the relay pack(there is no ignition wire on the main harness. it recieves ignition through the ralay satalite and ribbon cable).
Zx2guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
blazeronspokes wrote:
if the alarm works then you have all the components for the remote start. the alarm will not see ignition power without the relay pack(there is no ignition wire on the main harness. it recieves ignition through the ralay satalite and ribbon cable).
I was pretty sure the most important part was obviously the brain.  What components am I missing that are critical to the system working and where can I get hold of them?  :)
blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2005 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

you ahouldn't be missing any if the alarm works properly. i juat think those guys were trying to shaft you into paying extra money for them to hook up a few wires.

included with the viper 791 is this:

brain

relay satalite

ribbon cable

led

antenna

shock sensor

3 pin door lock plug

451m

siren

hoodpin

12 pin pimary harness