icon

Alpine latest navigation fall of 2005?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dragracing 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought one on ebay 1475.00 shipping included works awesome best navigation out there by far. I have used the eclipse,pioneer and the kenwood Alpine nve-n872a is not in the same league..  here is the link for the vendor on ebay.. shipped same day payment was made..

cwolfey 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Bad news BoominRolla, the NVE-N872A will NOT be compatable with your D-900.It only works with the D-300 and D-310. The main differances between it and the 852 will be better software package and the use of XM's streaming traffic and weather. When will we see it? God only knows. I was promised , without question before the end of Sept. 30 day delay. End of Oct., release date moved to Nov.I will be very surprised if we see it before Xmas. And yes retail is $1700.

FYI

The NVEN872A DOES work with the IVA-D900/901 and the CVA1005 also for that matter, by saying its not compatible you mean no touch screen operation I hope

I have hooked it up to the D901 and also in the manual it lists all connection diagrams for every Alpine screen made.

It has alot of awesome features and works perfect with the D901

soundzplus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
dragracing wrote:

I just bought one on ebay 1475.00 shipping included works awesome best navigation out there by far. I have used the eclipse,pioneer and the kenwood Alpine nve-n872a is not in the same league..  here is the link for the vendor on ebay.. shipped same day payment was made..

Thats a good deal ...

But wanna hear the downside .. ?

The money you saved ... will need it to fix it if it breaks .. since there is no warranty on units bought off Ebay .. 

Call Alpine and ask ... there are NO authorized "ebay" sales .. 

Soundz Plus, Inc
Complete Custom Car Audio
Warrenville, IL
alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
soundzplus wrote:
dragracing wrote:

Thats a good deal ...

But wanna hear the downside .. ?

The money you saved ... will need it to fix it if it breaks .. since there is no warranty on units bought off Ebay .. 

Call Alpine and ask ... there are NO authorized "ebay" sales .. 

we dont need to call and ask. thats common knowledge. we all know there is no warranty on ebay purchases. thats the tradeoff  most of us are willing to take to save a few hundred dollars on each piece of equip. i, however, am buying mine from a shop. not for warrany purchases, but because i used to be an installer there and im still good friends with the owner. he still gives me employee discount baby! hehe. i think im picking mine up friday. i cant wait!

nchohmi 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

One of the things I've noticed that I wish I could change is that you cannot change the color of the maps on this nav. I would like to have the background change to black at night as I have seen on some factory installed units, this one just doesn't do it....

scratchy 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

I just picked one up on ebay to replace my old 852.  First off, I chose a seller that has a lot of feedback and who was also offering a 1 year warranty through them.  So what if they're not authorized.  As long as they're willing to repair the item over, I'm happy.

I like that the 872 has a USB and pcmcia slot for future upgrades.  I'm looking forward to what Alpine has to offer.  I too would like the black background for night driving such as is offered in the newer Kenwoods and Pioneers.  Maybe future software upgrade?

As for differences, the 872 has much sharper, better detailed graphics.  The car icon flows smoother.  It has pictures of buildings on downtown maps, arrows on streets that indicate one way.  The touchscreen feature is great.  It can pick up 12 satellites vs 8.  Uses the same wiring as 851/852 (easy plug & play replacement - except you'll have to run the new voice microphone), points of interest are easier to find.  There are some other minor perks...

The only thing that became worse is the sound quality of the voice prompts.  they're ok, but not as clear and realistic as the 85X.  I'm also not sure that I like that the software was created by Microsoft!!  Crashes anyone?  (xbox360, windows....) 

As for upgrading from an older gen, I'm indifferent.  You can pick up a used one on ebay for about $700-$800, or the new one for $1500.  If you have an 852 or 851, you could hold onto those for a while longer and just update the software.  By the way I have extra copies of the latest DVDs, PM me if needed.  I heard authorized dealer cost on the 872s is $1060 - so they should drop a bit more over the next few months.

Hope this helps!

2000 Honda CRV
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic