icon

DMM that reads RPM and Dwell

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys I've recently moved to the US from Australia and in transit I somehow managed to lose one of my tool chests DMM that reads RPM and Dwell -- posted image.

In it was my most precious DMM now albeit it was only $45 when I brought it a few years ago but the beauty of this one was that it could read RPM and dwell angle on a motor. It was perfect! and now it's gone.

Ive looked at a few auto shops and Radioshacks and they just look at me stupidly, I would really like to get a replacement meter that can do the same. To get me by I have purchased a $9.99 DMM from Walmart and it "works" although the continuity buzzer sounds a little on the sick side!

Anyone know where I could get another one that does what my old one did?

Thanks guys

Check all advice given with a meter
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

I know the Fluke 88 does what you want and a lot more (I have one).. but hold onto your wallet. Around $400.

Jim

overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

OMFG

Thats criminal! on two levels!

My last trainee had mummy buy him a really good DMM..yup, the Fluke 88 (didn't know it could do that though!) and he said it cost her about 220!

Secondly, my original was like $45 or there abouts

Aye Carumba!

Well, thanks mate! I guess I can hold off for awhile, either that or keep trying to remember the brand of my last one.

sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

FLUKE RULES!!!. I do have a cheapo that I got from Autozone that I use as "'the loaner" it was less then 50 bucks

tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have the Fluke 88 too. For installations, its about as good as you can get. A DMM is one tool that lives up to the adage 'you get what you pay for.' Spend the money and get a good one. you'll thank yourself later.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

To be honest, I don't think you do get what you pay for, not all the time. Sure, the fluke is much more accurate then the 9.99 special, but honestly, when was the last time you needed to tell the difference between 12.34V and 12.35V? So long as it shows some fluctuation right?

So long as it can determine if there is continuity there? It works right?

Measuring current? Why use a DMM? Anyone of them would give a false reading, get DAM Clamp measures upto a good solid 200amps! My last one for $45 had an RS232 socket. Could store max, min, avg and mean.

Sorry, I can't justify spending $400 on a DMM with a name brand when it was outperformed by a $45 special. Know what I mean?

The size of your appendage isn't dependant upon the value of your DMM

overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
on another note, the quality of your install isn't dependant on the value of your DMM either. LOL
tragik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
A cheapo meter may get the job done, but a quality meter will pay for itself over time. More advanced installs require more advanced testing capabilities, and for me anyhow, I simply do not have time to d*ck around with crappy meters that don't have every function that I might need on any given car. I would much rather have one high quality meter that does everything I will ever need. My Fluke has a lifetime warranty too, so if it ever breaks, Snap-on will give me a new one for free, no questions asked.
Technically, a Geo Metro will work just as well as a Cadillac for driving around town, but does that mean its just as good? Hell no. In my opinion, meters are the same way.
tragik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
And my 88 NEVER gives a false current reading. The clamp is nice, but hard to get into all places in a car. Every installer should have both.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Another thing to look at is the speed of the meter.  My Fluke 189 (logging meter with RS232 port) could read signals in cars that no one else in the shop could read.  Things like BCM controlled door locks (roughly a 0.3 second signal in newer Nissans/Infinitis). 

For day to day use I recomend buying a $20.00 Craftsman meter, as your voltage accuracy in car audio IS unimportant.  But, have the Fluke handy because eventually you WILL need it for something. 

The Fluke 189 does frequency as well, but will cost you closer to $500.  I wouldn't trade mine for the world!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic