icon

DMM that reads RPM and Dwell

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

The new Fluke 88 kit is running around $559..

In all serious, if all you're going to do is measure chunky volts and continuity then the $20 no name meter is probably fine. The advantage for me with the Fluke 88 is measuring pulse width, RPM, Frequency, Min/Max, and things like that.

At one time I bought the Fluke 88, an IR temp probe, a contact temperature module, a pressure module,  and some other odds and ends. I laid down somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k dollars for all this stuff.

Use what you can afford..

Jim

tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
good tools are what seperates a good installer from the guy that just does it for fun in his parkinglot.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  

tragik wrote:
good tools are what seperates a good installer from the guy that just does it for fun in his parkinglot.

All of my installs are done in driveways and parking lots for fun, so your theory isn't 100% correct.

Kevin Pierson
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

You mentioned a shop in a previous post.. what do you do for a living KP?..

Jim

KPierson 
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

I worked as an installer for Circuit City through college.  After I graduated (BS in electronics and computer technology) I stuck around for a while until I found a job as an automation engineer in the petrochemical industry.  Lots of travel and late nights in hotel rooms let me to start my own company, KPtechnologies. where I am the majority owner and Director of Engineering.  I basically design the hardware and write the software for all of the automation products we sell.  I can't seem to get too far away from cars, although I don't do many installs much anymore, mostly just for family or friends (how fun is that).  The majority of the stuff I install now are things that I have designed and built myself.  Having two jobs keeps me really busy, typically working 70-80 hours a week, but hopefully it will pay off by the time I'm 30.

I started out really big in to stereos and custom installs ( http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/piersonkevin).  There are pics of my first two cars I ever owned and the installations I did on them (not too bad for a high school kid with no professional experiance at the time).  Later the installation in my Cavalier opened up the door to Circuit City (the were very impressed with it).  While working at Circuit City I got burnt out on the stereo side of things and turned on to the alarm/security/convienence stuff.  I've been hooked ever since.

Sorry to go so off topic, but thats my story.  I am not a professional installer anymore, but in my driveway I can still out install any of the guys (still talk to them all) at either of the two local Circuit Citys :)

Kevin Pierson
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
See, I wasn't all that far off. I'm not saying that a good install can't be done in a parking lot. I'm sure that during your career as an istaller that you probobly aquired some quality tools. And you proboly also had your fair share of encounters with people who fancied themselves to be installers until they couldnt get their install to work and had to pay you to fix it. No disrepect intended to those who do work in a garage or driveway. I do a fair amount of installation in less than ideal settings, as a portion of my business is devoted to being mobile, but the reason that I can be successfull doing so is partly because I have good tools. Its mostly the fact that I know how to use them. Good tools only go so far.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
KPierson 
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  
haha, I know what you are saying, and I would agree with you.  If I had a dollar for every head unit I saw installed by "someones buddys cousin" with wire nuts and duct tape I wouldn't have to work ever again!
Kevin Pierson
pss5075104 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
i agree with the both of you. i have seen some majorly haced up cars from people who thought the were installers.
D
MECP First Class Certified Installer.
Nothing is impossable, it's just more expensive.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic