icon

Clifford RS3.5 alarm, 95 civic EX coupe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95showcivic 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I am installing a Clifford RS3.5 alarm on my 95 civic EX coupe. I was wondering if any could help me. How do I mount the hood trigger? And what kind of screws or anyway else there is to mount the brain?
Tommy V.
theskunkworks 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
well..it depends on what sort of hood trigger,,,push-pin,,mercurey(my personal fav)or using the factory lead..
push pin type are ok..if you dont mind drilling into your vehicle to mount it,the snaking the wiring through the vehicle..ect...
i use a mercurey switch,made by DEI...it works 2 fold...triggering my alpine sec8052 if the hood is opened & tripping if my car is towed.
"who would have thought that it would have left such a big hole...."
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
use a pin switch mounting bracket if you cant find a good place to drill a hole... they make life  a lot  easier and are less than a buck !
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Sierra2700 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Kgerry, where do you get these pin switch mounting brackets, I have been using small 90 degree pieces of support metal for furniture and other 90 degree angles that need to be put together.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
lots of companies make them... i usually get them from DEI for about 65 cents each... nice thing is they are already threaded for the pin switch to screw in... just mount it and off you go....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
The mounting bracket's a better way to go even if you do have a place to drill a hole, because you can find a place for the bracket in a dry area. That'll give you a longer time before the pin switch corrodes and stops working, unless you put in a good weathersealed one.
I like mercury switches for long term reliability, except they're probably harder to find with all the worry about toxicity and stuff. May also be sensitive to parking angle if adjusted for small opening angles.
theskunkworks 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Merc switches arnt too hard to come by..i got 3 off of ebay for pretty cheap...
if your tech savy enough you can make one out of an old thermostat.i did this many years ago...it worked out pretty nifty.
the angles...as long as the switch is at a steep angle,hill parking shouldnt be an issue.most thieves will lift the hood up pretty far,not thinking theres a trigger attached...
one remedy is to park facing down hill...
"who would have thought that it would have left such a big hole...."
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I actually had a friend save two thermostats for me so I could do exactly that- I was going to put it inside a film canister or pill bottle for protection. Problem is, I don't remember where I put them...Clifford RS3.5 alarm, 95 civic EX coupe -- posted image.
Saw a well encased mercury switch being sold in some Circuit City or Best Buy type place, it was something like $17. Kinda pricey for a blob of mercury- I'll have to check the ebay route and see who's got them.
I don't mind the tilt sensitivity too much, I can deal with it to have something that won't develop problems down the line like normal pinswitches will. The tilt sensitivity might be a plus for tow detection anyway.
95showcivic 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
I am installing a Clifford RSX3.5 in a 95 civic EX. I got the alarm to work, I can armed it and disarm it from remote. But, when i popped the hood, to see if the hood trigger was working, the siren didnt go off. Now I think i wired the trigger to the wrong wire. Its a push pin trigger btw. The wire I used is the orange on the primary 12pin Harness of DEI alarms. I think its for the trigger, because it says when its sees ground, Any help please?
Tommy V.
dmielken 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
95showcivic, I believe you are right when you say you have the wrong wire. On the RSX3.5 there should be a specific hood pin wire, usually colored grey. Check your installation manual for it but I'm fairly certain this is the wire you need.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic