icon

Amp humming, Autotek sx1200

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jshhhs 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Wasup everybody? hope i can get some idea as to whats goind on with my system. I have a autotek sx1200 mono d amp. 2 phoenix gold octane r dual 4 ohm 12" subs. 1 gauge 12v wire. 4 ga gnd. Alpine head. All Monster Cable. Heres my problem. When I cut the system on the amp will begin to hum like crazy anytime I start to turn up the volume on the deck. This is not engine noise, turnon thump or alternator whine. Its a deceptive devil humming in my car and I have to get rid of it HELP. At first I thought it was a power issue-so i got the meter. 14.2 with car on-its not the alternator. I figured the ground so I moved it twice-same crap. The deck? dunno its a brand new alpine but im thinking the factory gnd for the head is insufficient and/or the B+. I will move the deck ground tomorrow and if I must I will move the b+ for the deck straight to the battery. I have installed for 2 years and I have never had this problem. All equipment is new and this amp is forsure good. What is really goin on? Does anyone know if this autotek d amp has any quirks i should know of. Its 1 ohm stable and the dual 4 ohm subs are paralleled to each spkr terminal-its running at 1 ohm I tested the spkr leads. I changed the RCAs do I need to ground the shield on the RCA?. The older monster RCAs had a ground wire,these dont. wasupwiththat? Am I looking in the right areas here? Any help greatly appreciated. I have changed almost everything in this car so it must be an install issue cuz the amp is ok. I am running 1 gauge and I dont have a dist block in the trunk so I had to strip a 4 gauge and splice and tape it to the 1 gauge so i could hook to the amp-could this be a problem? Also at the battery I had to go down to 4 gauge on the battry side of the fuse cuz I cant get ahold of a 1 gauge connector. I have cut these same corners many times before and never had any issues. This system is really pissin me off right about now hope you all can help. Thanks for your help. Ohyeah what do you guys think of the autotek sx1200 - pg octane r combo? I heard this EXACT conbo in an Acura and it rattles concrete foundations-hope to hear it in my car too after spending over a grand i think i deserve it. I will be awaiting reply from one of you fine installers-thanks.
What the feezy?
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmm it sounds like it could ether be the downsize of the wire. which would act as a kind of restricter. but most likely it is the rca cables try and unhoke them and then hock them back up if the noise gose away when you unhook them then it has to be the absense of the groundom the cables. and for that power cable you really should get a distro bloc and a fuse holder that is able to take the wire or else you could have the 4g gust overheat melt off and then ark to the frame then you have no car. it is alwas better to get the right things to hook up your system before you run it. but i know how you feel you gust have to get it hooked up so you can hear it. i do the samething to but not with that much power. im alittle more carful with that kind of power. altough i dont really know how the system is suposed to act in that situation.Amp humming, Autotek sx1200 -- posted image. hope this helped
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
jshhhs 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
yea i gotcha-iknow iknow i needed a dist block for the power wire and tomorrow i will find one even if i gotta pay the $60 oh well. but i dont think its the problem. I am pretty sure of the rca ground thing cuz when I start to increase the volume at the deck the amp starts humming and it wont stop until i pull the battery fuse. Im not sure if it stops when i pull the rcas but i will check that now.
What the feezy?
jshhhs 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have some 1 gauge left and when I find the optimal spot for the ground (if I dont have it already which i think i do) I will install the 1 gauge ground as well. I wish this wasnt necessary and I probably should have ran 4 gauge anyway to start with cuz im spendin way too much money on ring connectors and dist blocks. I now need a dist block for the ground and power cuz the amp only accepts 4 gauge! Yeah I planned ahead for a bigger amp (jl 1000/1 or crossfire 1000d), but after I get done patching things up to fit this auto tek im gonna be broke from buying dist blocks. Well were supposed to enjoy this stuff right? hmm.. lol The fuse holder at the battery goes to 4 gauge too on the battery side-what do you guys think of this? do I need the 1 gauge to the + batt terminal too? I never worked with an autotek and I hope to make it feel happy at home in my ride-thanks for your input and any other suggestions on my system will be greatly appreciated. Jay.
What the feezy?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Instead of guessing where a good ground is, why don't you take the trouble of metering a ground so as not to ever have to question your ground, again.

In the midst of your essay, did you mention anything about having the amp on with no rca's and no speaker connections? This too would eliminate those sources. Plug them in one at a time to see if one or the other causes it.

jshhhs 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

How do I find the best ground? With an ohmeter? Where do I put the leads-what readings should I seek?

There is an update-I got the system 'humming' again and when I pulled the RCAs from the amp the hum kept going til I turned the deck off.  Also I tried grounding the RCAs at the deck with a 16 gauge wire wrapped around the outer part of the RCA and then tapped into the deck ground-same crap. I need to change my deck ground I suppose, but the 14.2  volt reading comes from the deck leads. hmm Wouldnt the ground be ok since I hooked my meter to it when I tested the deck voltage? Im not sure where else to look. I am going to hook the RCAs to my other cars deck and find out if my problem is within  the amp/sub/ or with the signal thats feeding it. After I do this I will know if I need to troubleshoot the cars deck and signal wires or if I have to troubleshoot the amp. But Id rather not have to wait to do this and any more help is appreciated. Thanks-u folks are great!!!!! 

What the feezy?
jshhhs 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
aaaaaaaaaaaargh! i suck.
What the feezy?
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
well..this is a good topic for myself, i've got a 1995 dodge neon that sounds like it has the same issues as your, i changed to a clarion 845MC cd player and have an older kenwood x301 and X401 amp, (301 running highs 401 on subs) and a pair of mtx 8k 12" subs.  it puts out almost a 40 hz bass note just on the sub rca outputs , not the highs. i was told that it's the internal processor of the cd player? but i've also found that changing the ground behind the cdplayer works. i changed it and it hasn't done it yet (it also only did it on occasion) but it hasn't done it in 3 weeks so i'm feeling confidant. maybe that's the issue with yours?  also i had brand new highend rca's and new wiring.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

This link below should explain how to check your ground

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=65615&KW=ground

If the amp still makes noise w/o the rca's you have just ruled out the head unit and rca's.  Be careful with those rca's, if you manage to touch a wire across the ends, you can cause damage to the deck.

Now try the amp w/o the speakers connected. If the amp continues making noise with nothing connected, you might simply have a bad amp.

One thing at a time, and be careful.

jshhhs 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Coooooool thanks for the advice and I think (and hope) that its simply my deck ground. If there is any other red flags about my install that yall can see let me know but for now i will jus run a new ground on my deck and cross my fingers. Hey stang351-did your hum stop when you pulled the rcas off the amp or did you have to turn off the deck? Also did you end up running your system with or without an eq?
What the feezy?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic