icon

Eclipse or Infinity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
The only difference between a 10" and 12" of the same line is the air they move?
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
In general, yes, so a 12" woofer will produce a little more SPL at lower frequencies than a 10" all else being equal.  A 12" also tends to have a lower fs than a 10", which means it remains efficient at a slightly lower frequency.  If the fs of the 12" and the 10" are the same, I'd choose the 10" simply because it would require a smaller enclosure and it will probably be a bit more efficient.
Support the12volt.com
arrow12 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Well thanks for all your input DYohn.  It's greatly appreciated.
technotom 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the formatting, I have read the previous posts and you would do well to be wary, some are clearly written by people with a limited understanding of physics and electrical engineering.
Tom - BSEE, BS Physics
Tom
technotom 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
One other note. A single driver is ALWAYS better if it meets the physical performance criteria you are after. Mutiple drivers produce waves that are virtually never coincedent, such that interference occurs (a form of distortion). There are ways to minimize and deal with this both electrically and physically but these are not simple or "quick" fixes.
I use single drivers in almost all my installs except where I cannot achive the level I desire within a given bandwidth. To this end, box design becomes even more complicated. Not having all of the sophisticated equipment to accuratly measure all of the important criteria, I usually leave this to the guys that make premade enclosures that match driver design to required performance.
Tom
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Tom, could you explain the part about the multple driver "distortion" and how it  can be "electrically" and "physically" minimized? I'm curious about this.
There is no such thing as free installation!
arrow12 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yea that's a really interestin concept.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
i understand and now what he is talking about and will try to elaberate.
the basic cosepte is to regulate the signale going to each sub so that they are esactly the same and so that there is now difference inbetween both. you need a large amout of equipment at you disposele in order to do it correctly and it is not simple. it takes a serten amount of nallege, expiriance, and equipment to do i correctly.
the phisical part is to use a large amount of dampining in the area that the sub is in to blend the already modifyed signale. one other thing is that you have to put damping on the inside of the box which has to be make very carfully to keep the subs giveing of the same amount excursion and presision. but im not sure that this is the right info cuse i came across something about this like a year ago so it is kind of fussy im sure that tom can explane more deeply.hope this helps and if i got something rong fell to correct me   Eclipse or Infinity - Page 6 -- posted image.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
What?  Dude, don't post BS like this and please learn to spell (or get the free Google spell checker!)  Your post is so poorly written I can't begin to respond except to say you do not seem to understand what you are talking about (which means you should not post it.)
Support the12volt.com
arrow12 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
technotom can you please explain yourself.  How can you minimize what tcss said?
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic