icon

Eclipse or Infinity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
I think he's saying that if you wire the speakers together as opposed to discretely and run them in a common enclosure instead of in discrete enclosures you get ... by the way there technotom, I *love* the masturbatory wordiness of that post .... the actual compression waves eminating from the woofers are more ...*ahem*... coincedent than they would be otherwise.... and he is certainly correct in the assertion that even in said enclosure, minute differences between drivers *will* produce ever so slightly different waves...
That acknowledged I'm pretty stumped by the "No simple or quick fixes" statement... I mean, I've seen pretty nutty balanced digital inputs running from laptops and weirdo bandpass boxes designed to ...ahem... achieve the level of performance desired for the needed bandwidth.... but I'm not sure if ubersolutions to problems that are pretty much theoretical is really a smart idea... again the whole "will I actual hear this in a moving car" test is going be a resounding "No" in most of these cases... certainly in the "Will I hear the difference in these two subs in my trunk driving along the road at 45 miles/hour?" Of course not. Is there a real physical difference in the way they're playing? Sure. On paper.
What's with the "Guys that make premade enclosure" statement anyway? I mean I can do that with WinISD ..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
technotom 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the wordiness. Whenever you have multiple drivers as waves meet they will "interfere" with each other. No, they don't work like the Bose pictures of all waves nicely interlacing - cute marketing gimmick. Sometimes this works to your benefit (waves in phase = greater output at a given frequency), sometimes not (out of phase = standing wave worse case, aka cancellation). Again, these things are dependant upon the environment. Can you "hear" it? Depends on how of which kind of interference.
Perhaps I misused the term "no quick or simple fix". Sedate pointed out that people do and have done all kinds of "things" to achive a desired performance. How well, how accurately, I guess it's subjective. In live sound I use a DBX driverack for "tweaking" anomilies, not from the speakers as much as the speakers in a given room with a given placement. It's a fairly involved gadget to tune, even with the setup wizards!
Hey, you can always build a bass trap in your car (probably not practical - I use them in the studio) but that's a whole 'nuther story!
Tom
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
No, no technotom, I really liked the wordiness. Polysyllabic expression is so oft missed from this type of parlance that to see such careful attention to the contruction and spelling of a post was quite pleasing. Few around here seem to care..
Anywho I'm not really sure what the original subject was or if it was answered or what I just wanted to jump in a give another thumbs up to good quality writing. Eclipse or Infinity - Page 7 -- posted image.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 7

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic