icon

’01 S10 Blazer Auto Start Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bestbuymn 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Passlock II prevents the vehicle from starting not from cranking. While you are able to get the starter to crank, without the proper RCODE the vehicle should not start. Even when you wire in the 555L if you dont get it just right the vehicle cranks and sometimes even starts for a breif second and dies, and you will see the "security" light on your dash flashing at you. If you try too many times without the proper RCODE the vehicle will go into a longterm tamper mode and you will have to wait 10 minutes to start the vehicle again. I have never tried to "hotwire" the vehicles but everything i know about the passlock systems says that should NOT work for ya..........sorry i'm sure not the answer you were hoping for but thats what i know at least
rsudbay 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
no, the pass lock will shut off the fuel pump or some other important function like 5 seconds after the car starts. it gives the car jacker like 4 seconds of joy then takes it away.
hey, everyone has got to start somewhere. but ill learn
calee4nyaboy 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a great answer. Makes sense because I never did actually let it start. I just didnt think it would even allow it to crank but i guess it does...no biggie as long as the car doenst start, the theif aint going anywhere    : )
i found a wiring diagram to the Passlock II where you can use 2 relays (where you dont have to buy a 555L) Any reason not to use the method in this link?
http://www.wiringinstructions.com/238.htm
Or does the 555L provide other features above and beyond the method in this link?
bestbuymn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
the 555L doesnt do anything else.. there shouldnt be a problem with that set up.... just keep in mind that the relay set up or the 555L is going to be the new passlock system. In other words your vehicle will be relaying on its functionality to start and run for ever. So make sure you find the proper resister combo and wire up the relays exact. Keep the diagrams on file somewhere too because if down the road you have the problems that i talked about earlier with the passlock, I.E. the security light, you will need to check that set-up out and possibly reconnect the factory passlock wire that you cut. Just a heads up... i have seen a few passlock issues in my time installing, even had some vehicles towed to our shop because of issues like i just mentioned. Just giving you a heads up!!!
calee4nyaboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
But based on the diagram i provided, it looks like the Passlock II is only temporarily bypassed during auto-start and that its not really used "forever". Because with the key being used (not auto-start) the passcode II will run through the relay and not know the difference because it will be using the factory passlock II.
But I do have a question about the diagram i provided. When you really look at it, the relay on the Right side only provides a ground to the relay on the Left. So why do you even need that relay? Why dont you just run the negative ignition output to energize the relay on the left??
bestbuymn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
first of all i realize that the relay keeps the passlock connected and the RCODE in the key is used BUT that yellow wire is still iterrupted by the relay... so basically the only way you would have problems is if the relay you are using decides to fail or decides to stay open, nonetheless just putting a troubleshooting idea in your head now to save some time later if needed.
As for the second relay, it looks to me like they want a good solid ground for the relay set-up and not just the negative trigger from the R/S. I would wire it up as shown and not cut corners on passlock... sorry i am just over cautious with the passlock, cuz i have had some really difficult ones... mainly on cavaliers, but when you warranty the work you do for as long as the customer owns the vehicle you tend to be more cautious. So my recomendation is be safe and wire it up as shown. Good luck
calee4nyaboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
bestbuymn, I checked out the diagram listed for VATS. Its at this link:
http://www.wiringinstructions.com/237.htm
For sh*ts and giggles, check that out and tell me if that shouldn't work just perfect for passlock II as it's basically the same setup. I dont want to beat this topic to death but I have always been a believer in keeping things simple. And as you mentioned, passlock can be a pain, so my logic is if one relay is 100% all you need, then thats what you should do - it's also quicker and cheaper. It honestly looks like the guy that wrote the passlock II diagram had a brain fart because i can't see what the relay on the right is for.
Just because the passlock II diagram is in print, doesnt necessarily mean it's "the best". Whats your two cents?
bestbuymn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
do be honest i cant say that it wont work if you just do one relay. I have never tried it so i dont know for sure. All i can say is that both DEI's wiring diagram and the one you found both have two relay's listed for it. DEI reccomends using the 555L, but thats because from an installers perspective its easier than dealing with figuring out the resistance and wiring up two relays etc... we just connect up a few wires and hang another box under the dash and call it good. Its the same cost to our customers so we just do it. I tend to trust the information i recieve from DEI.. they arent always right on everything, but when it comes to info like this they have never failed me.
If I were doing it, i would wire it up as shown. In your case if you really believe the 2nd relay is pointelss, dont use it, make sure when you cut your passlock wire you leave enough length on both sides so you can re-connect it if need be, but trying it with the one wont hurt anything. As I explained before, if the vehicle doesnt see the correct RCODE the it just wont start and you know that you need the 2nd relay if it starts then great. If it tries 3 times with the wrong code then you wont be able to start it for 10 minutes even with the correct code... keep that in mind.
Sorry, that was a novel all by itself, but there you have my opinion.. as usual... good luck
calee4nyaboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
I looked at the DEI 555L PDF file but I couldnt find anything talking about it using two relays. Just curious, where did you see that?
bestbuymn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.directechs.com/techtips/pdfs/resources/security/directed_techtips/1048.pdf
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic