icon

Box making

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

I am sure making a box is not hard. Some info on nails, glues, trick & tips would greatly help. I already have the box dimensions. Hopefully someone understands what i am asking.

SSounds
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
if you use nails your box would eventually fall apart. use screws like dry wall screws work fine coarse thread.  glue, liquid nails,  brace it well,  seal all inside joints     
ssnds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
what size of material. what kind of material? MDF?  any doubled layers anywhere?
SSounds
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have access to a air nailer? What size of subs are you using? brand / type / amplifier power?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ssnds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

yea i have access to almost any size air nailer what size u need? just like a pen nailer? for like trim and shhh? about 1 1/2 nail? 16guage nail.. something like that.

2 12'' RE SX, 2 crossfire vr1000d's.  so about 2200 watts rms.

'03 impala ls

SSounds
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

In most cases a screwed together seam will split long before a glued together seam. This is why it is fine to use brad nails. The sole purpose of the nails is to hold the two surfaces in place until the glue dries. Once this seam has dried, the surfaces are more than adequately bonded for most subs. If you want to support it even more and in your case is highly recommended, lay a strip of glass on the inner seam, overlay it about 2" on each side, use a couple layers. This will make the seam way stronger than before, way way stronger. I use 16 gauge 1.5" brad nails for .75" mdf. Use a good amount of glue and spread it on the edge of the surface to be adhered first. Do not just lay it on in a strip and expect pressure to spread it evenly as it doesn't. So lay it down, use your finger and cover all of the surface, then nail that seam together. I would not nail within 2" of the end of a piece of the mdf to ensure that it does not split on you. Again, glue is going to be by far stronger than nails or screws. If you are going to screw, again stay away from the ends of the mdf and you must predrill everything.  In 20 years of building boxes I have only had to screw together a handful of boxes, these were usually ones that involved massive amounts of power and 1" mdf. I have had two boxes that were nailed come apart over the years, in both cases it was due to the customer not having the box secured down and allowing it to be bashed all over the trunk (or box of truck in one case). Use a good yellow wood glue for this.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ssnds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

i am new to f-glass.  thinking about messing around with it actually. i was at wal-mart the other day.. stopped by some glass.. i saw different type.. wood.. metal.. new car glass. etc..  pretty much just buy which is for your application then follow directions? once i start my experiment pro .. i 'll be askin in F-glass forum.

SSounds
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Use MDF 3/4" thick  (obviously you have to add or substract this thickness to or from the dimentions depending on the case) and use the dry wall screws (black ones,1 1/2 " lenght) ,you will also need a drill instead of a screw driver so it will be easier and faster to assembly your box

Also, I recommend liquid nails heavy duty glue, apply enough to assembly and seal at the same time(be carefull on how much glue you apply inside the port

Do not use nails ,beacuse the MDF is a very solid material , the nails applied with the air nailer will broke it,believeme! =0)

..and almost forgot it!  put the screws every 1 1/2 inches ....

that´s all what I did with my enclosure(  kicker compcvr 12")   ,I tuned it @ 38 hertz and rocks!

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I will echo Forbidden on this one. All the brad nails do is hold it until the glue dries. Use a good glue, have accurate cuts, and lots of glue, you will be ok. Generally the MDF will break before a properly glued joint.
As far as screws go.... PREDRILL. Use a good coarse threaded wood screw, you'll be fine. Drywall screws aren't the strongest things inthe world, they tend to break rather easily.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

I ment the black metal threaded screws,the ones that are strong...I´m sorry but I don´t know its name in english ,ask for them at home depot...and Gus1 is right ...predrill!!!!

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic