the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Box making

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
mariocesar wrote:

..and almost forgot it!  put the screws every 1 1/2 inches ....

Damn, you must go through a few boxes of screws on a single project. Rember it's the glue holding the box, the screws are used to clamp the joints while they dry.

I think every 3-5 inches would be adequate

fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

Liquid nails rocks, some kind of caulk on the inside of all the joints.  The 2 inch screws are enough every 3-5 like dwarren said.  Just to give you an idea of the weight capability, the cabinets in your house are held up with only a few 3 inchers and they hold up tons of weight well.  I have some shelving in my garage with 6 2 inch screws in the studs and theres at least 300 lbs of junk on them.  also when you use screws, use a countersink to make them sit flush or just under the level of the material.  That way if you want to upholster the box with something you don't have bumps everywhere.

"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
looks like every one builds boxes a little different some nails some screws.. it all works the same. but i have found that screws tend to make the contact points tighter. and yes gus was right pre-drill.
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

you have to use good screws so they thight while the glue gets dry ....and you have to leave them there!  once the glue is dry ...it is easy for the MDF to get broken because its physicall properties...it is a hard material but at the same time it is to easy to break it ...

and the screws are not expensive.. I got 80 screws for near to 3 dollars at home depot!

audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I am actually building a box as I speak. Im using 1-1/2" #10 screws. just basic wood screws with a fairly coarse thread. Using somthing like liquid nail only its called SureGrip and it polyethalyne<-(spelling) based so it wont harm the subs. I pre drill with a 5/32 bit and just use a screw driver to screw it together because i dont want to split anything.
I recommend doubling the thickness of the front if your subs are really big and heavy plus that provides a sturdier mounting point. My box is going well and its only taken me about 3 hours so far and all i have to do is cut the mounting holes and mount the front panel.
any sugestions on how to cut the most accurate circle?
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

audiobhan101 wrote:
any sugestions on how to cut the most accurate circle?

Use a Jasper Jig on your router.  Also, if you use poly glue make sure you pre-wet the edges of the MDF so it won't soak up all the glue.

In general, my opinion is if you use screws instead of clamps, in a well-made enclosure you should be able to remove them without changing the integrity of the enclosure.  If not, it's not well glued or braced.

Support the12volt.com
audiobhan101 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
thanks Dyohn!
thats an excellent way to do it i was gonna go buy a fancy dremel with a circle attachment but i have a router so ill just buy that attachment at home depot or somewhere like that.
I pre soaked the MDF a little but it looks like alot was still soaked up.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
sunsettt 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
I'm new here and got i question that I didn't see it anywhere. Why we don't make the speaker box by the high quality of plywood? what the different? it still strong any way! Thanks
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
Plywood is heavier..and less dense than mdf. MDF is very cheap but more expensive than plywood.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
audiobhan101 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
ok i was pretty sure that MDF is much much heavier than plywood and that MDF is average price because it is just compessed saw dust. i get sheets for $40 which is cheaper than most plywoods.
But im a newbie maybe im wrong....
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic