icon

Box making

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

audiobahn, it sounds as though you are getting ripped off.  Lowes charges $19.99 a sheet (49"x97") for 3/4" mdf.  Even at places that are a little higher, the price very seldom gets over $25 a sheet.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey I have one more suggestion: once you are done finishing your box leave it outside the house, be sure the sun gets  inside  thru the mounting holes so it will get dry much better. this will help to avoid gases that could damage the gasket....leave it for a couple of days and then enjoy it!

audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
To j_drling2007:
I live in a fairly small town in canada and we only have 2 lumber stores both were same price but one had free shipping so i took that. im gonna have to march down there tommorow and ask why the price is so high. if i could have bought 2 sheet for the price i paid for one im gonna see to it that i get 2 sheets fopr that price.
thanks for the heads up.
Box is done by the way. I will carpet it and post pics if i can get my digital camera working.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

yes send us pics!!!!

ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
at my work most of our lumber comes from canada.. ;)
SSounds
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Am I the only one who uses Gorilla Glue on here? It foams up and seals all the joints for you. You just have to sand off the excess on the outside of the box.
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
never heard of it.. anyone else heard of it or tried it before? or is it just another way for someone?
SSounds
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
good stuff (gorilla glue).
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
i was going to try gorilla glue on my last box. but at just over a dollar an ounce its a bit much. when i can get liquid nails for $4 a 10.5oz tube.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I used Gorilla Glue on my box for my 2 Infinity reference 12's.  I think that if you drop the box the mdf would break before the glue.  And the foaming action is a great way to completely seal the box.

Gorilla Glue is great stuff.

And, btw, to audiobahn101, follow this link to lowes website and print the page and bring it to your lumber store to show them.  You'll probably have a better chance of getting a discount of some sort.  But the taxes are higher in Canada, too, so you'll have to take that into account.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ne=8000&N=0%205000158&category=Particleboard%20/%20Medium%20Density%20Fiberboard%20Panels&pad=true

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic