icon

H.O. alternators?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaggy_one469 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
is it ok to run a HO alternator that puts out a lot more amps than you need? i am currently running an MTX 81000d pushing 2 audiobahn 12's in a factory bandpass box. i drive a 92 rodeo and i believe the stock alternator only puts out 100 amps. the amp requires a 150 or 160 amp fuse so i assume my alternator must put out at least that much.      as it is now, when the bass hits, the display on my HU dims almost to the point of being completely out.   i know i need an HO alternator but will it be ok to run one that is more than whats needed? i am planning on upgrading my subs and adding another matching amp so i will need an alt. that will not only support one of these amps but two plus a small amp for the mids and highs.   any help would be appreciated.
shaggy_one469 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
i meant to mention that the dimming that goes on is with the gain at about half.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Absolutely.  There's nothing wrong with running an alternator capable of more power than needed.  Do us a favor and don't play it so hard until you do the upgrade.  Also do a search on the big 3 and setting gain controls.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Another benefit of having a larger alternator is future upgrades. You may find your self looking for a four channel amp or other accessories.

Not to mention that if it all possible, avoid getting an alternator that just cuts the power requirements. Getting a larger alternator will prolong the life of the alternator by causing it less stress. It's like haivng a more powerful amp that enables more headroom.

shaggy_one469 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok so if i am understanding correctly, a 200 amp alt. is capable of putting out 200 amps but only does so when needed?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

shaggy_one469 wrote:
ok so if i am understanding correctly, a 200 amp alt. is capable of putting out 200 amps but only does so when needed?

Basically. When the demand is up, the alternator is up to the task.

audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody have a place for cheap HO alternators. I realise that they dont come "cheap" but lets just say "cheaper" than usual. I got a jegs Chrome one that decided to burn up under the strain of my orion amp. They gave me my money back and said buy a bigger one. just so happens the bigger one is about $250 which is a little pricy
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

audiobhan101 wrote:
Anybody have a place for cheap HO alternators. I realise that they dont come "cheap" but lets just say "cheaper" than usual. I got a jegs Chrome one that decided to burn up under the strain of my orion amp. They gave me my money back and said buy a bigger one. just so happens the bigger one is about $250 which is a little pricy

That's actually pretty good pricewise. May be out of your budget, but for something really good that will be up to the task, you'd be hard pressed to find something less than $300.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
if ur looking for a cheap HO alt try searching for an IRAGGI ALT on ebay.. he has a whole store online and they r about the cheapest and alot of guys on this forum run them... but if u looking for something under 250 good luck...
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

Ya and its really really hard to find any thing for an 84 RX7. I have seen Iraggi Alts but I dont think he has any thing for an RX7. I need to find out what else will fit my car and go from there. Most mazda alts are the same but better to be safe than sorry.

84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic