icon

Passlock II Resistors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I know it's a cheap way of doing a bypass, but I plan on wiring a relay and resistor(s) to bypass Passlock II.
My question is what is a good selection of resistors to buy so I'm preppared to do this install? And I assume the higher tolerance resistors are what I should get?
"Drive it like you stole it"
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
resistors and relays will do the trick fine. With PL2 you need to match the value as closely as possible, so some high tolerance resistors are preferable. They say that the pass lock will work with a value plus or minus 10% of what the car reads, but since resistor values change over time, and more so in cold weather, try to get it within 10 ohms. Any 1/4 watt resistors will be fine, just make sure to meter them before you put them in.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Radio Shack has like a massive quantity of resistors you can buy in a pack...I think it's around $10 for several hundred resistors in different impedance values. I don't think the tolerance will make that much difference.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

Passlock 2,

cheapest way

forget the relay....once you get your measuremnt connect  the resistor(s) ass follows

cut the yellow wire (theft system) , connect the resistor to the yellow ecm side(leave the yellow key side alone)

and connnect the other end of the resistors to the black wire.

try starting your car by key, if it starts and your anti-theft does not stay lit....your good to go. If it stalls you have the wrong measurements , check the value of the resitors.

Testing is the key
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, quick response, thanks.
Any suggestion on what values to get? I'm not sure what ranges the Passlock II systems operate in since I've never done one of these before. (almost all of the immobilizing systems I've done have been the transponder-type)
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Nevermind, the answer was just posted in the time it took me to type the last post!
So Slicksam, you just permanently disable the factory system all together?
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

ok to get the measurement.

I usually start the car , cut the yellow wire take the red lead from my multi meter connect it to the yellow KEY SIDE

and the black to the black wire near the yellow, write that number down, THEN  I switch the leads around to get another number,

eg.  first reading 8.09k        second reading 7.69k

I would use a 8k resistor  

that values are all different on every car.

Testing is the key
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

GMC4x4Guy wrote:
Nevermind, the answer was just posted in the time it took me to type the last post!
So Slicksam, you just permanently disable the factory system all together?

yup...sorry to say , but there a pain in rear, especially the passlock 1

any passlock 1 or 2 , I don't bother screwing around...resistors and have a nice day.

I don't think that those cars will get stolen...no offence to any GM or chevy owners...I just hate that anti theft device

Testing is the key
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

so you do a half-assed bypass job based on your own personal tastes??   wow, dont work on MY vehicle.....

GMC4x4Guy... do yourself a favour a go out and get a data bypass for your vehicle, something like the GMBP or 457G... there are only 4 wires to hook up, it takes 5 minutes and it reliably bypasses your Passlock circuit only during remote start......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:

so you do a half-assed bypass job based on your own personal tastes??   wow, dont work on MY vehicle.....

GMC4x4Guy... do yourself a favour a go out and get a data bypass for your vehicle, something like the GMBP or 457G... there are only 4 wires to hook up, it takes 5 minutes and it reliably bypasses your Passlock circuit only during remote start......

so you do a half-assed bypass job based on your own personal tastes wow, dont work on MY vehicle.....  <--------buddy i was installing starters way before these modules came out.......I have seen ALOT OF TOWINGS being brought to me cause the customer is trying to start the car and it is stalling. And IT was not me who installed it. There are certain cars that I bypass it completly like cavalier, malibu and sunfire(older models). But there are certian GM cars that I do install the by pass on it.

I know FOR SURE that with my way, if the key starts by key.....It will always start by remote starter

and another thing........customers will try to cut the cost anywhere possible. quoted by GMC4X4 "I know it's a cheap way of doing a bypass"  I rest my case

Testing is the key
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic