the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Passlock II Resistors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

slicksam wrote:
[QUOTE=kgerry] customers will try to cut the cost anywhere possible. quoted by GMC4X4 "I know it's a cheap way of doing a bypass"  I rest my case

It's NOT the customer that cuts the cost..............

If the Shop does it the way the customer wants & ignores the the Better way of installation, then the Shop suffers.  Not only from Sales & Service, but reputation..............which in some cases means nothing to some

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

very true... it's the professionalism and integrity of the Installer that will determine what type of bypass the vehicle gets... NOT THE CUSTOMER!!

i would never consider doing a lesser job just to hit a price point... i tell my customers what it will cost to do it properly, and if they want to go somewhere else to get a lesser job for a lesser price, by all means do so.....

my reputation is worth more than some stranger's nickles and dimes......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

I agree. I dont have a problem with doing the resistor bypass for PL2 systems, but only if a relay is in place. That way, if a resistor fails or the values change overtime, the car will still still start with the key. The other way, the entire operation of the car is dependant on 10 cents worth of resistors, and I am not comfortable with that.

Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

alright.

let talk price!

How much would you charge a customer for a remote starter + doorlocks on a

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier?

I want to know also the brand of starter you install.

Testing is the key
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

slicksam wrote:
alright.    let talk price!      How much would you charge a customer for a remote starter + doorlocks on a     1999 Chevrolet Cavalier?I want to know also the brand of starter you install.

Loaded Question........

Prices Installed vary from Country, State, Region, City, etc.
Brand has very little to do with how a Shop would proceed in using a Resistor ByPass  versus Data ByPass.

Especially when the Installer wnats to modify the Factory ByPass with a single Resistor and Not use a Relay.  I guess the Resistors used by those Installers are not prone to Heat or Cold and never change in value

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

we sell many different brands and many different models.....    we charge $99 extra for any bypass module installed and $49 extra for keyless entry installed.....    one thing you dont seem to grasp is that it's not about price..... we charge what it would cost to do a job properly and professionally....

i'm not about how cheap i can do a job..... and you know the funny thing? we are busy as heck most days taking care of the customers who want it done properly... i do many more $699 RS installs than i do $199 installs.... you only have so many hours in a day... why step over a dollar to pick up a dime???

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

ok nevermind

whatever

Testing is the key
Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
First off you guys you can't do it this way. Passlock 2 uses a fluctuating resistance so 1 resistor won't do. Just go out and buy a DEI 555L and do it right!!
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
soundqmitsu 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

Fluctuating resistance? That's the first time I've ever heard of that, unless you mean it fluctuates because of heat.

Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
Its not just heat that causes it, most of the time people have problems in the cold, try using a 555T and see how long it works. It won't, GM should really think about not adding security systems to their cars, they don't get stolen and they're easy to steal with it.
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic