icon

Passlock II Resistors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thats exactly what I am talking about. Heat fluctuations work in reverse too, that is, the resistance will change as it gets colder. Most of the time, people want a remote starter because its cold outside, and the resistance changes when it gets colder. It's not much, but then again, the tolerance with pl2 is so small that this change can make the difference between starting and not starting.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
As far as prices go, that is where things get tricky. For and entry level RS, I charge $265.95. That will get you 1000 ft. of range, and keyless entry if you have power locks. A decent 2-way RS will run $465.95 for 1/2 a mile and keyless. PK2 is done with a module, and is another 75 bucks. Factory security brings up the price another 35, and if the car has a transponder, its an aditional 75 as well.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
GEEQUE wrote:
Its not just heat that causes it, most of the time people have problems in the cold, try using a 555T and see how long it works. It won't, GM should really think about not adding security systems to their cars, they don't get stolen and they're easy to steal with it.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with the view that GMs cars with Passlock are easier to steal. If I remember right the only GM vehicle on 'Most Stolen Vehicle' lists that has passlock is the Escalade, whereas plenty of late model Hondas and Toyotas are there, as well as older cars without immobilizers.
Passlock's still worth something because it requires that a key be used in the lock cylinder, which isn't the way most car thieves do things.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
1stclass 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to go the cheap route, go to radio shack and buy a potentiometer and not a resistor.  They may cost a few cents more but with resistors you cannot always get the correct resistance.  With passlock sometimes "close enough" doesn't always work. Using a relay and resistor is not that bad of a way to do it, It works on the same theory as a 555l.  It is just as easy to retrieve a resistance from a 555l or any other similar device.
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about that, but figured since someone didn't mention it then there may have been some problems with it. Does temperature affect it any more/less?
Here's a dumb question. It seems that most of the concerns are due to temperature affecting the resistance of the resistors. Obviously the factory system uses some sort of resistor; does't temperature affect that resistor?
"Drive it like you stole it"
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it does to a point. It is a pretty close tolerance from what I understand, but it does change. The ECU knows what range it is supposed to be in.... the problem is when your resistance swings outside that range.
Units like the 555L relearn the resistance everytime they are started by the key. This is what makes them the more solid Passlock bypasses out there. And, at $15 or so, pretty solid bang for the buck.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
steiny83 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
what if you're installing a push-button start like me, it appears i'll have to use a resistor or potentiometer. What's my best bet to avoid failure?
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
I just did this for the first time on Sunday. I used resistors, but the R-code was 14.14K and I made the resistors read 14.93 and everything worked great. It's kind of a pain figuring out how to link the right resistors together, but after that, no problems. I used 1% tolerance resistors so I doubt the resistance will vary much with temperature. I bought a potentiometer "just in case", but I don't know what the tolerance to heat is so I didn't use it.
On a side note, interfacing the door locks without the 456G or 457G module is a great big pain in the can. Next time I will be using a module because it will save me a headache! The amount of parts required just about equals the cost of the module. I used 6 Bosch relays, three door lock relay harness's, 8 diodes or so and an hour and a half of labor (and everything went smoothly). The 457G module also includes the passlock bypass, so that's the plan for next time.
"Drive it like you stole it"
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
You can use the resistor we have the made for us to match whats found in the car. I did mine that way and it works just fine. I have been doing RS/KEYLESS units for years. get the resistor as close as you can the make sure you solder it in. Dont listen to others as the think they know everything
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic