icon

mixing sub sizes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
even1968 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
I once heard that you have to be carefull when mixing sub sizes cause one note that one size makes can cancel out the other is there any truth to this as I have a 93 t-bird and want to mount 2 8" subs in back shelf and 1 12" sub in the trunk  any sugestions and comments appreciated thanks
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
If you do this- setup your crossovers so they don't play any of the same frequencies.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

Prepare to spend money and time.  You should use an active crossover to separate freqs.  And be mindful of the fact that with the sub in the trunk crossed at 60 or 50 Hz, you won't get much out of it.  All the same rules of building proper enclosures would be in effect with the rear-shelf-mounted subs, too.  And the shelf itself will have to be fortified mightily with damping because it will make noise if you don't.

All in all, multiple driver setups are difficult to get good results from.  But if you are willing to put the money and testing and time into it, you can achieve a greater system.  Do you already have the front main speakers separated into 3-ways?  Prob. not....if you did you wouldn't have posted this question, because you will have already experienced what you have to go through to get it right.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
even1968 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the replys howevre as a newbie here I do not quite understand seperated fronts 3-ways (do you mean for seperated midrange eg.6",3"and 1"tweeters) and if so is this nessasary as I was planning on keeping the stock 5x7's and adding a set of  1"tweeters using the decks crossover, also with the sub in the trunk at 50 or 60hz why would this not be afective is it because the 8's would need to be crossed high so no choice to go very low on the 12 thanks for the help as I am a very mechanicaly inclined person for autobody and mechanics and such, yet very limited on installing much more than a car stereo amp and sub, but getting tired of the same old and would like to get a little more technical with my system, thanks for the help guys 
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

The sticky subject Advanced front how-to will give you a lot of info to start with.  Meanwhile, you're much better off replacing the front speakers with a pair of components, since you are obviously not happy with the current tweeter setup.  This will keep your system with just one pair of tweeters in the front soundstage.  Go listen to some different brands.

Per your other question, yes...the 12 and the 8's will be sharing sub duties so you would have to separate sub frequencies accordingly.  You will double or triple your cost of this system, and without benefit of the tuning tools needed (see the linked thread) you are likely to end up with sound that is not any better than keeping it simple.  Consider, instead, a rebuild of the "same old" with new information you can find in this forum.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
We've been over this before, everybody...
Do it.
Here's the link...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

As S. Kephart said in that thread, "But my question is why?"

Too often this question on mixing sizes comes up not because of strategy, but because those drivers happen to already be on hand.  A careful read of the author's words will indicate where one should go with an answer. 

I'm willing to bet that in most cases there is a dissatisfaction with what gear is currently in place...and that most people don't want to do a complete uninstall of equipment that has at least SOME merit...thus the question of adding to instead of replacing.

People end up with two or three sets of tweeters and mis-matched woofers in their cars....and wonder why they can't get the sound right, so  there should aways be a word of caution.  Stick to the basics unless you've mastered those and have the knowledge and experience to venture into new territories. 

If this thread is based on a strategic endeavor to use two sizes of subs I'll eat my hat.

Myself?  Still trying to master the basics.  And BTW, I have an edible hat tucked away for emergencies...;)

audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Should you seperate frequencies when you have 3 or more of the same size subs? or does this only apply when mixing sizes?
I have never had any probs with by MA audio's or Audiobahn's cancelling each other but will i get better results seperating the frequency?
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

audiobhan101 wrote:
Should you seperate frequencies when you have 3 or more of the same size subs? or does this only apply when mixing sizes?
I have never had any probs with by MA audio's or Audiobahn's cancelling each other but will i get better results seperating the frequency?

No, multiple subs of the same size should play the same frequencies. Only multiple sized setups will need the varied x-over points.

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
I was talked out of using two different sized subs awhile ago.  I'll try to find the post, but I've got to go.  Oh... and stevdart... where do you happen to get edible hats?  I could probably use a few.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic