the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Dissatisfied with Alpine Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Be careful taking a measurement of the cable that you don't short the center to the reference (ground).  This would fry the head unit.  Safest way is to use alligator clips.  Or, what I do is measure at the amp outputs where you measured voltage output...but with the gains all the way to minimum (have you noticed the 4 volt reading that shows in the JL tutorial when they describe this procedure?).

As for listening to the sub by itself, playing music:  that sounds to be normal with a good crossover.  You shouldn't be able to hear much musical melody.  The sub would have to be playing freqs higher than its intended range to do that.

The damping in the doors is crucial, so get that done ASAP.  Damp both the outer skin and the panel.  And the MDF baffle will help a lot, too.  You're not getting sufficient midbass.

The sub should still be loud in those freqs up to 100 Hz.  You're not getting what you should be there.  Borrow a pair of channels elsewhere to test, or borrow another mono amp for that purpose.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
in response to the 2 ohm question on the sub channel, yes it can be done, it dosn't have the digital circutry that the mrd series amps have, however the amp does get pretty darn toasty after a good 30 min blast.  You could try just hooking up one of the voice coils on your sub for a short period to see what its like at 2 ohm.  im not reccomending it, but in our case it worked for a year hitting 148 db before we sold the amp.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
tomfin2000 wrote:
The front channels of the amp put out 50W RMS and the resistance of the speakers is 4 ohms.   So I take the square root of 200 (50 x 4) and I should get a reading of 14.1 volts from each set of the front channel's speaker terminals when measuring the output with a mulitmeter.
So I disconnected all of the speakers from the amp, put the HU at 75% volume (60 out of 80) and played a 1,000hz test tone with a 0db reference.   I touched the leads of the multimeter to the speaker terminals and turned up the gain until I got a reading of 14.1 volts.   I ended up just over the 2v sensitivity setting on the amp.
I've tried different methods and settings (including turning the gains all the way down) and I can tell you that I get the best overall sound from the system using this method to set the gains.
omg did you actually do all this? Nice work man nice. I really feel shockingly unable to help you, you seem ever so competent.
So, a few thoughts:
Essentially, I think you made some very poor speaker choices.
Again, refered your your original complaints about sound:
tomfin2000 wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble with the high frequencies. With most of the settings I've tried, they sound hollow and unnatural as though they're playing louder than the other frequencies. However, when I turn down the tweets (using the 0db, -1.5db, or -3db switch on the crossover) or try to lower the highs with the EQ, the music loses some life and sounds flat.
This is, quite frankly, I think, the speakers. The VR series is a seriously BRIGHT and ETCHED set of componets.. fiercly accurate and very detailed.. the *passion* coming from these speakers is *all* tweeter.
tomfin2000 wrote:
In the mid range, I can't seem to get the clarity I had before.   With my original setup, the instruments were very distinct. I could easily pick up and follow an individual keyboard line or base line throughout a given song. With my current setup, it takes a lot more effort.
Again... I know how flawlessly the VR series performs, so I again am forced to return to the speaker choice.. the 'voicing' of the speaker, if you will. The VR series componet set is, again, very much etched against it's high-end... as long as I used these *I* always found its midrange/midbass output not only weak, but utterly anemic.... compared to an Infinity Reference speaker you spoke of originally, I think you would find the VR's entirely..... colorless? Does that make sense?
All these clowns jumping up on this thread like "You need to dampen your doors" or "you need some MDF rings" or whatever seriously haven't ever heard these speakers they don't know what they're talking about. All damping the doors is going to do is lessen whatever ambient noise might being interfering with the tweeters on the VR's.. your mid-woofers will be just as .. uhh ... not making midbass as they were before.
tomfin2000 wrote:
In the low range, the bass notes don't sound like notes. If I turn down the speakers and just listen to what's coming out of the sub, it seems like I 'm just hearing a jumble of low frequencies.   Not only that, but it plays VERY low.   With my headunit's volume turned up to 65 or 70 out of 80 and the front and rear speakers turned all the way down, I could barely hear the subwoffer output while driving home this evening.   Based on what I've read (and heard) in other systems, that's doesn't seem right. Shouldn't I be able to clearly hear the sub's output under those circumstances?
Part of me seriously just wants to say "Alpine woofer, duh" and post this sucker, but I think that *is*, upon honest reflection, selling Alpine just a hair short...Dissatisfied with Alpine Amps - Page 3 -- posted image.
Uhh.. again. A *single* 10" in a trunk? IN A SEALED ENCLOSURE?!?! Trying to provide the low end for a CABIN FULL OF JL VR STUFF?!?! Come on this is car are you really wondering why you can't hear it properly? Especially when the car is *moving*? Dude you need some good ole' fashion CONE AREA..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
in response to the 2 ohm question on the sub channel, yes it can be done, it dosn't have the digital circutry that the mrd series amps have, however the amp does get pretty darn toasty after a good 30 min blast.  You could try just hooking up one of the voice coils on your sub for a short period to see what its like at 2 ohm.  im not reccomending it, but in our case it worked for a year hitting 148 db before we sold the amp.

Here's one for you, Alpine Guy:   I had two different people that stock the MRV-F450 swear to me today that the sub channel is not only 2 ohm stable but that the power rating of 200W RMS is actually at 2 ohms rather than 4 ohms.   They claim that the reason my sub seems underpowered is because I am only sending it 100W RMS by presenting it with a 4 ohm load.  They also claim that many of the published Alpine specs on the amp are either completely inaccurate or contradictory.   Have you heard anything like this before about the MRV-450?

I've read that most (if not all) mono subchannels are two ohm stable, so between that, what I've experienced with my setup, and the fact that you were able to run your setup at 2 ohms for over a year, I'm starting to believe them.  Maybe I'll try your suggestion of presenting the amp with a 2 ohm load just to see what happens.  

Worst case scenario, I'll end up having a legitmate reason to replace the amp!  LOL!

tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
omg did you actually do all this? Nice work man nice. I really feel shockingly unable to help you, you seem ever so competent.

You know what your problem is Sedate?  You're too easily impressed.  Dissatisfied with Alpine Amps - Page 3 -- posted image.

Seriously though, thanks for the advice.   You know, one of the reasons I went with the VR components was because I thought the silk tweeters would give me smoother highs and I had heard that the midbass on the JL components was pretty good across the board.   It looks like I was way off on both counts, because what you're telling me is exactly what I'm hearing.

If I decide to replace the VRs, what would you recommend?   I've heard nothing but good things about CDT.   In fact, I almost replaced the VRs with the ef-61cfi/25 earlier this year.   The only reason I didn't is because the tweeters are so damn big and I didn't want to cut into my door panels again.   (There's really no where else to install the tweets in my car unless I go with kick panels.)

How do you like the CDT sets you're using?   Having heard both, do you think I would be happier with the CDT's than the VRs?

I'm not sure what I'll do about the subs yet.  I can see how I would need more cone area,  but I should probably decide what I'm going to do with the rest of the system first.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
tomfin2000 wrote:
If I decide to replace the VRs, what would you recommend?   I've heard nothing but good things about CDT.   In fact, I almost replaced the VRs with the ef-61cfi/25 earlier this year.
I would think you'd find the CDT's a totally different animal. *much* more midbass... very warm and smooth with a real neutral tweeter... to be honest, I actually found the tweeter that came with the Classic-series componet set to be a bit limp.... now I run it actively and can direct its volume discretely so I no longer have the opinion, but the voicing of this speaker is *far* different from that of the VR's, that's for sure.
Actually, for awhile I was running VR-silk tweeters, which I do think sound absolutely outstanding... a detail here I'm just fanatical about... with a pair of CDT EF series midbasses and a good 200watts/channel for my front channels... this I think was my favorite front end. It *screamed* ...
So what kinda car are you driving?
stevdart wrote:
The sub should still be loud in those freqs up to 100 Hz. You're not getting what you should be there. Borrow a pair of channels elsewhere to test, or borrow another mono amp for that purpose.
This is the more accurate statement regarding your sub. If you seriously can *barely* hear it when the rest of your system is screaming, perhaps something here is amiss..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
soundsgood2meaz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
i believe that what you are finding defiecient is that the Alpine amp's are rated at 14 volts where the JL amps or at least the "slash" amps (250/1, 500/1, 500/5 etc) have a much wider voltage window and will deliver full rated power. Sonically though the alpine is a great sounding amp in the "quieter" situations and cars. Overall though the JL will exceed your expectations
tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

soundsgood2meaz wrote:
i believe that what you are finding defiecient is that the Alpine amp's are rated at 14 volts where the JL amps or at least the "slash" amps (250/1, 500/1, 500/5 etc) have a much wider voltage window and will deliver full rated power. Sonically though the alpine is a great sounding amp in the "quieter" situations and cars. Overall though the JL will exceed your expectations

...and then the lights went on.

At 14.4 volts, the amp is rated at 50W x 4 and 200W x 1 RMS

At 12 volts, the amp is rated at 30W x 4 and 150W x 1 RMS

When I set my gains, I used the 14.4 volt ratings.   So running off the battery instead of the alternator, I went back and set the gains according to the 12 volt values.

BIG improvement in clarity and overall SQ.

With the ignition running, I'll probably see something closer to 13.8 volts, but either way, I had my gains set way too high.   In fact, I even had to turn the non-fader (sub out) down on the deck in order to come in at the right voltage.   The earlier comment about the input sensitivity on the MRV-F450 not being able to accomodate the high voltage preamps on the HU was right on the money.

So, the bottom line is that I'm seriously underpowering my system and the MRV-F450, while probably a good amp in and of itself, just isn't a good match for the HU and speakers I'm running.   The JL 500/5 is much better fit, so at least now when I upgrade I'll know why I'm doing it and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm still not ready to give up on the JL VRs, because I want to see what they can do when my system is properly powered and tuned, but I probably will look into the CDTs at some point.  Based on Sedate's description, they sound like they're more my style.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Humm, i really doubt the alpine amp was rated at the 2 ohms, back when that amp was produced they were a stand up company still. But hey, you never know right? At 2 ohm i can truely say it made those R-15's move like they were getting a good 400 wrms.

From what it sounds like you want out of your system its probably a good idea in the future when it is justifyable to get new equipment, possibly get a 4 channel amp and a mono sub amp powering a 12" ported woofer.  So far it looks like your already narrowing down the speaker choices.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
Humm, i really doubt the alpine amp was rated at the 2 ohms, back when that amp was produced they were a stand up company still. But hey, you never know right? At 2 ohm i can truely say it made those R-15's move like they were getting a good 400 wrms.

I was trying to figure this out today.   The amp can be run in three channel mode by bridging the front and rear channels, so by definition, it has to be 2 ohm stable, right?

Also, since Alpine provides specs for the amp at 2 ohms stereo, 4 ohms stereo, and 4 ohms mono (4 ohms stereo, and 4 ohms mono (bridged), I'm thinking that each individual channel is 2 ohm mono. 

If that's the case, then the guys at the shops were right and I was running a 4 ohm mono load into a 2 ohm mono channel.   If that's the case, then I'm probably sending somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 watts to the sub which would explain a lot.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic