icon

Bondo and bodywork

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, I said this before and I'll say it again. Do not lay 1/8th inch thick body filler on body work. Your sub boxes fine, but you start slapping that shhh on there as a means to fill gaps and spaces it'll start cracking.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

mi_what wrote:
Alright, I said this before and I'll say it again. Do not lay 1/8th inch thick body filler on body work. Your sub boxes fine, but you start slapping that shhh on there as a means to fill gaps and spaces it'll start cracking.

my question to u is this: when you lay down body filler how thick of a layer do u leave??? it may be an 1/8th of an inch thick at first but u forget that your probably going to be sanding most of that off... i never said to fill gaps with it.. but you'd be surprised by how well it will fill some gaps that big...

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
My first layer will be 1/16th at most, When using fiberglass for body work I always use kitty hair jsut for that extra strength. Then, it takes time but I sand the shhh out of that until it itself is smooth enough to primer over then use body filler almost like spot glazing putty. The first time I ever did body work was on a 1968 GMC stepside when I was 15 and made the mistake of using lots of bondo by to fill some of the gaps and it all fell apart, since then I've used the kitty hair. I just don't agree with using bondo heavily for body work, thats all, not trying to put your ideas down or anything.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic