icon

89 Honda Prelude, battery or alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 89" honda prelude I am debating on a Kinetik Battery - http://http://www.kinetikaudio.com/hc2400.asp or a HO alterenator. I will be running a Kicker Kx1200.1 and a LA 300.4. If any of you guys have had Kinetick batteries how did they do. And on the HO alterenator i did some research and called a couple a places. And one guy told me that they don't make them for Jap. cars. I talked to another guy and he said that some companies do make them. If you know where i could get a H0 alterenator for a honda let me know.

Thanks
you can't be ahead of the curb if you aren't LIVIN LOUD
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
Why not get both? It can only improve your whole system. And yes they do make them for cars from Japan. Do a site search on Grounds, alts, batts, and the big 3. It will tell you all you need to know. 89 Honda Prelude, battery or alternator -- posted image.
Big Dave
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
You NEED both. The battery is the helper, the alternator is the SOURCE of all the power in a car.
Call Alterstart in Texas. I got a 165A for my 2001 Civic there. Some will tell you that the Alterstart alternators are not good, but I have (as of this weekend) that the Iraggi's have problems too (and you know who you are). Check into the Iraggi's on eBay. I have had very good luck with the Alterstart equipment, and I have installed 6 of them. All on Honda cars, too.
MAKE SURE your alternator lead and chassis grounds are all up to snuff BEFORE you complain about the alternator (if you happen to have issues with it). If you do everything right, and CORRECT from he start, you shouldn't have any issues with any HO alternator.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
honomichl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks

Would two yellow tops be the same as a HO alt. I have a spending limit to 350.

honomichl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Haemphyst i just called them and they said that that the biggest alt. that they made for my car is 170 amps. Alt was 300.00 would that be enough for my stereo or would i need bigger.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
honomichl wrote:

Thanks

Would two yellow tops be the same as a HO alt. I have a spending limit to 350.

NO. READ BELOW...
haemphyst wrote:
You NEED both. The battery is the helper, the alternator is the SOURCE of all the power in a car.
Call Alterstart in Texas. I got a 165A for my 2001 Civic there. Some will tell you that the Alterstart alternators are not good, but I have (as of this weekend) that the Iraggi's have problems too (and you know who you are). Check into the Iraggi's on eBay. I have had very good luck with the Alterstart equipment, and I have installed 6 of them. All on Honda cars, too.
MAKE SURE your alternator lead and chassis grounds are all up to snuff BEFORE you complain about the alternator (if you happen to have issues with it). If you do everything right, and CORRECT from he start, you shouldn't have any issues with any HO alternator.
We have been over this and OVER this on this forum. THE ALTERNATOR IS THE SOURCE OF ALL THE POWER IN A CAR. You cannot substitute batteries for an alternator (and before you ask, caps are not a substitute either, so don't go there...). End of story. You must have the alternator first - the SOURCE of all the power, THEN add all the batteries your suspension can handle!
:::EDIT:::
You got to it before I did... 170A should be plenty. I have a 165 and it works perfectly well for the continuous power levels I use. Your system would use about 150A on a continuous, WFO basis... So 170 should work out just about right on the spot for you, as you will never be using all the power, all the time.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
honomichl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of power levels do you have? what is the voltage it stays at.?
haemphyst 
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have about 6kW of Eclipse amplifiers, and the ammeter in my dash tells me that my system (alone) can pull around 130A on a fairly regular basis - and that is about as loud as I can stand it. Most often, even with A/C, lights, RWDefogger, I will pull around 100 to 110A. My voltage never drops below 13.4v, usually hanging closer to 13.8 to 14. Again, I rarely even think about using all the power, so 165A (in MY system) is plenty.
honomichl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks haemphyst
mcjonesy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
In the future (this goes for anyone who drives a 88-91 Prelude) ask about alternators for a 90-93 Accord, they bolt up with VERY minimal modification, and typically the aftermarket support is a little better for the 4th gen accords than it is for the 3rd gen Preludes.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic