Any tips for speeding up my installs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tophatjimmy 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I'm new here.
A little background on me. I've been working as an installer for just over 3 years now, doing RSK and security installs for just over 2. No formal training, mostly OTJ and trial and error.
Anyway, do you guys have any tips to help me speed up my installs? Depending on the make/model of the vehicle, it still takes me 1.5 - 3 hours per job, and the new Chryslers are really kicking my ass...
Most of that time is spent locating/tapping the wires I need to use and figuring out how to get the wires from the brain to where they need to go - neatly.
Is it just a matter of getting familiar with ALL these vehicles, or are there some tricks I don't know about to cruise through these things?
Thanks for any suggestions.
redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
i always find all my wires in the car first.....then i do everything on the test bench , that way i know how to tape the wires so that they are running to the right location....this helps alot in speeding up the time.
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
yes find connections then prep harness
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Stay away from the T-taps. Soldering takes a bit longer but the outcome is much better. They are making these new vehicles harder to work with. I wish they were all like a 96 accord. 30 minutes.
MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Plan, Think & Do It RIGHT..........No Come Backs

The one ehicle that takes you 3 Hours may take another 1 Hour.....Don't worry about it....You can't do every Vehicle as fast as the other..........Even if you had 6 of the SAME Vehicles lined up, there will always be the 1 that slowed you down.
Speed is NOT always the best, even if some shops believe in that practice.
Give it your best, ask questions & above all UNDERSTAND what you are doing.................

After 30 years, I am STILL reading & Learning, even from a DIY......Any tips for speeding up my installs? -- posted image.

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
i agree with MO some installs just take time. especially when your doin t right
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
isus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Practice and exposure.  The more you work with cars the faster you will go.  T-taps are okay to use but not on critical wires.  Soldering and taping is always the best way.  This has been a real struggle for me as well.  Hang in there and keep working. 
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Have you ever try connecting a feature for a customer when an install has been completed? If you have to fix the problem where you were in a hurry and mess it up the first time, I think the degree of difficulties is much the same . As mo12v pointed out. You can only go so far with speed, but you are way ahead by doing a good job one vehicle at a time.       
Personnally, every one minute you spend doing some reading of the vehicle wiring diagram and prep work, you save yourself five minutes in return.
As redpeppers suggest. Find and test all your wire in the vehicle first. Nothing is easier when all you have do is just make simple connection to the vehicle. It's clean and neat since you know where to run the wire. I don't think I can stress enough about this to the DIY and Rookie installer. Even if you have done this type of vehicle a million times over. One will bit you is the **ASS** when you think you know it all. Trust me on this. The guys I work with always get bitten.
Prep your harness as Powermyster said.
The main harness. You will need them regarless of what vehicle you are working with. Hoodpin, tach, brake, and parking lights. Every car you do will require you to make these connection, so tape each one of these wire up individually on your downtime.
Finnally, get lots of lighting and good equipment. Nothing takes you longer to do when you can't see what colour the wires are and equipement that is inadequate to do the job. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Any tips for speeding up my installs? -- posted image.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

thepencil wrote:
Finnally, get lots of lighting and good equipment. Nothing takes you longer to do when you can't see what colour the wires are and equipement that is inadequate to do the job.

A-MEN

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
makita 3/8" drive cordless impact with a 1/4" reducer and a 8mm socket makes pulling down those damn ford metal underdash panels with the dozen 8mm bolts a breeze!!
oops sorry, i love this new tool.
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic