icon

Fiberglass Overlay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sh1bby69 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
I own a mazda3 and I plan to overlay the the dash with fiberglass so I can paint it. I also plan on doing the doors as well. Would it be possible to for me just to overlay the the sections I need and just sand it down? My dash consist of 3 sections? If I were to put the same amount of layer on each section will it be even?
xtremca2003 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
Do you want a shinny dash or are you lookin gto just change the color. If you have a vinyl dash you can buy vinyl dye (paint), that can flex with the material.
Chris
sh1bby69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

xtremca2003 wrote:
Do you want a shinny dash or are you lookin gto just change the color. If you have a vinyl dash you can buy vinyl dye (paint), that can flex with the material.
Chris

I want a shinny dash and no it's not vinyl. It's plastic. But there shouldn't be any problem w/ just overlay the fiberglass correct? It'll be my first fiberglass job.

xtremca2003 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
If its your first job, I would go to a junk yard and buy a 10 dollar dash out of a junker and try different things on it to get it down. Fiberglass is easy, but can be tricky to work with. You could glue some thin box carpet or grill cloth down and resin over it. Thin helps because it doesn't bulk up on the dash. You only need to use enough spray adhesive to hold it for a short time, then resin away, and finish from there. Remember not to plug up any screw holes etc.
Good luck and let us know.
Chris
sh1bby69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  

xtremca2003 wrote:
If its your first job, I would go to a junk yard and buy a 10 dollar dash out of a junker and try different things on it to get it down. Fiberglass is easy, but can be tricky to work with. You could glue some thin box carpet or grill cloth down and resin over it. Thin helps because it doesn't bulk up on the dash. You only need to use enough spray adhesive to hold it for a short time, then resin away, and finish from there. Remember not to plug up any screw holes etc.
Good luck and let us know.
Chris

Thanks for the tips chris. I really want to start the project mid this month to get ready for the show season. You think 1 or 2 layers should be good?

sh1bby69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Would there be an alternative to fiberglassing? Would I just be able to sand it down and just paint it?
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
i'm not sure what the mazda dashes are like. in my impalla ('03). the dash has a texture on it. i know i could just sand the texture down.. then primer and paint.. i am pretty sure.. a guy at a local shop wanted to do that to the dash since i had to cutomize it for the flip on monitor. (the monitor was hitting the dash up above.
SSounds
deagle50ae 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

you could prolly just mix up some bondo and go over the dash with it and sand it smoother than a baby's ass. I dont think fiberglass is called for here unless you're goign to be RESHAPING or redesigning your dash with monitors and such.

just my .02c

tuscani 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Fiberglass doesn't like to stick to plastic very well, Your going to have to sand it down and rough it up very well to create "ridges" in it so the FBglass has something to grab onto.
I would suggest getting a different dash to try before wrecking yours, or pay to get it done, or leave it as is.
FBglass is alot of work, and you have to have ALOT of patients.
jfunk06 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Another trick i picked up (i forget from where) is to drill a few holes.  And have the resin seep through it onto the other side.  This way, it wont be able to move, if you just put alittle FB patch under each hole you should be fine.  This will ensure it is gripped down on the dash.  I would also suggest getting a donor dash too. 
Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic