icon

Fiberglass Overlay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

Guys...if the dash is vinyl and its not going to be modified, DONT USE FIBERGLASS...theres absolutely no point.  sure u can drill holes and all that good stuff but its still not the greatest thing to do when all u want to do is make it smooth.  Take out the dash, if its got any soft vinyl on it then scrape it off including the glue/foam or whatever else they used, clean it up with some sort of wax and degreaser and then some soapy water, rinse it off very well...let the peices airdry or wipe em down with a cloth/towel u know is very clean.  If u wanna be extra careful then u can use rubber gloves so the oils of your fingers dont get on the project.  Once the piece(s) are clean and dry sand down the texture on the dash, spray it off, then wipe down with a tack cloth...Primer your piece(s) with a high build primer, depending on the sanding job u will need about 3-5 coats with sanding inbetween the layers, this will make the project smooth, then u can paint it and clear it...no fiberglassing is needed.

hellbilly007 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have no experience doing such, but I was told to sand dash down and use 2-3 coats of FG resin. The resin can be sanded down and painted. Just my $0.02 tho.
Slowly but surely working towards something. Not sure what though.
StlS_Ron 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

i agree no need to apply fg to this.  another product to consider is "oem" brand metal glaze.  its a polyester filler same as bondo or rage gold, but sands much eaiser.   i would condier using this on youru dash if it is made of Hard plastic and will not flex.  My 2 cents.  Clean it, Run over the texture with 36 grit or 80 grit to gouge it.  metal glaze it.  sand and finish.   

Best idea posible is to goto the junk yard pick up something similay are try on that first

Ya my radio sucks.
Oh by the way I cant spell!!!
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Placid Warrior is right...a lot of people seem to think to get that "fiberglass" look on the dash, that you need to use fiberglass when you really dont. There's also another way to prep your dash, you can actually just brush on some resin to harden the surface. You may need to do a little sanding afterwards...then u can drop on some bondo, sand some more, prime and paint etc...Fiberglass Overlay? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

I think the problem here is that everyone thinks that fg resin and bondo will adhere to oem plastic and it absolutly will not do so. when a lot of these people make fg parts for their dashes, door panels, etc, they are bonded to the plastic using duramix 4040 or similar product.

man if you want your dash smoothed and painted follow placid warrior's advice, its the only way you will properly get the job done and be show worthy.

H-a performance 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
if the dash is plastic just sand off texture prime sand prime again if needed, and then paint. do not use any glass or body filler on plastic without proper prep and then it still might lift after time.,
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

DONT bother with FG unless you either wanna change the dash or rebuild sections of it, its too much effort wen u can do it just as good by cleaning it, good 2 coats of primer then floow thru with normal paint and laquer as stated above

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
97blackrodeo 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Here is a little write up I found to work well for me. Trick is not to build up each coat of primer too high. Let it dry and then spray again.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=71371&PN=1

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic