icon

how many of what size subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jsesterly 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Trying to decide how many of what size subs to add into my suburban. Hoping someone could help out a bit. Whats the difference between say 2 10's to 1- 12" or 2 - 12's to a 15"   I am swapping out the old seats for a set of durango seats which gives me extra room on both sides.. wanted to add a 10 on both sides, along with 1 in the center console that is being made, and 2 in the back. which made me think about ...5-10's?  wouldnt it be easier to just have 3-12's?
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
first what kind of music do you listen to. what kind of car do you have, how much space do you have. usually the bigger the subs the more expensive they are.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
jsesterly 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

Its an 83 Suburban. LOOooooots of room. I listen to all types depending on mood.  country, rock, r&b..

I understand the bigger the more exp.. but comparing 2 10s to the price of 112..and the 2 10s are more exp.

youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
well the sub size all depends on what you want to have in your car. what do you feel like having in your car? i take it that you are leaning towards 10s.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

The difference in size is really how load it can get, the bigger the sub of that sub's line the more watts it can take. A suburban you can fit dam near anyone ya like. I find though if ya use say two 10's instead of one 12 its a stiffer base. But this all depends on many factors. My advice see if you can listen to any of the sub your thinking about in action, ignore peoples advice on brands unless there is a reliability problem because they might not like what you like in a sub.

youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
the thing that lots of people think that the smaller the sub the tighter the base you get. this isn't true you can get a 15'' to have the same sq that a 10'' would have. but there are lots of factors that come into play hear. it is all about the listener. what size sub/s do you like. it isn't me how is going to buy and listen to these subs its you and its what you like best that counts.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
i would go with a even number of subs. also remeber bass is not directional. do you already have an amp or amps ? what i would do with 83 suburban. on a middle of the road budet. is 2 15" subs single 4 ohm coils and a mono block amp stalbe @ 2 ohms
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
MikesMarine 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  

first things first.... what is your budget?

your talkin' bout speakers next to the rear seat and in the center counsle... your getting into trick stuff if you want it to sound good.

what kinda amps are you running... or plan to run?

do you want sound good bass or SPL bass?

alot of things unanswered, so lets start with budget! cuz like its been said, you got unlimited space for a killer system, though those older 'burbens rattle like crazy... fit some 'mat into your budget

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with the above recommendation- stick the subs in one location.  Otherwise you can get some nasty cancellation and will not be happy with the end result.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
sounds to me you want some good sound quality... I would concern yourself with the amplifiers first. if you get a good quality amp you will probably be able to tune the bass properly to your likings. whether with the bass adjustment knobs you could mount up front, or on the amps themselves. and that is alot of types of music. do you plan on running a sealed box or a vented box?
either way its going to sound good as long as you get alright quality subs and good quality amp(s). remember you can tune good amps a real lot and they are very adjustable to what you will like. good luck, i love those old school burbs, glad your keepin it alive.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic