icon

significant noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dkeshish 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone. When in doubt and after wasting so much money at installation shops.. I come here.... Should have come here first!

Ok I have a 2006 chrysler 300. The battery if you are aware is in the back. I have a pioneer avic n2 installed and want to have 2 amps installed. 1 four channel and 1 two channel. I dont have anymore money to get the 2 channel amp for now due to the fact that I took my 4 channel amp to get installed at circuit city. (yeah i know first mistake) they wire the amp and run rca's from the head unit to the amp. When I turn the car on there is a ton of noise! whining and also I can hear the fan on the head unit humming noise in the speakers. and the whining noise when accelerating. The guys there tried everything from changing the rca wires, thinking it was my rca outputs on my head unit and running the high inputs (wires not rcas) and still the noise was there. Could it be the amp is too close to the battery? I am just so depressed at this I dont know what to do.. any suggestions? they even grabbed another amp and tried thinking it was my amp and the noise was still there... the headunit is wired through the chrysler wire harnessed ground could it be that? THIS IS JUST SOOO ODD. the ground for the amp is connected to the battery directly. the rca's are kicker 4 channel rca's. Any help people would be much appreciated. Could it be the way my head unit was installed? they wired my acc wire for my head unit to my lighter as apposed to directly my ignition.... could it be that? the amp i want located right behind the wheel well of the trunk. both sides.. should i move the amp and see if it is too close to the battery and that is it?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

OK, first things first.  If you paid for an installation and it is unsatisfactory, don't leave until it is done right.  Make them fix it.  Demand to speak to a manager and raise hell until it is done correctly.  If they say they cannot do it correctly, tell them you want your vehicle returned to 100% stock exactly the way you brought it in, and that you want all your money back.  Do not accept slip-shod work, especially from a gigantic company like Circuit Chitty.

Next, yes it sounds like you have major ground plane issues.  Try a dedicated ground for your HU.  Is it a Pioneer?  If so, that could be the entire problem as they are known for crap ground planes.

But bottom line is don't let CC push you out with a crappy install.  Raise some hell and get them to fix it or remove it.  And next time, try a REAL car audio shop.  significant noise -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
dkeshish 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
thanks Dyohn actually spent 3 days there.... after all that experimenting and troubleshooting they ran out of options and I asked them to put it back to how it was before I came in. When asking for my money back they told me that labor is labor and you have to pay for labor no matter what and there is no refund. i raised hell to get me no where. I am just disgusted with this whole thing. I could have done a better job myself and saved the money. thought it would be best if I took it to "pro's" that install everyday....  Boy was i wrong. yes it is pioneer.  what do you mean planes?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
A head unit has a ground plane that every component in the cd player is grounded to. Pioneers are notorious for having a piss poor ground plane that is a breeding groud for noise. They have been this way for years and years and years and yup more years, back to the 80's actually. Why, because 90% of the units they sell are not hooked to outboard amplifiers which is when the problem develops.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dkeshish 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
oh boy this is great! so im screwed? no way to update the ground plane? 
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

dkeshish wrote:
oh boy this is great! so im screwed? no way to update the ground plane? 

If the HU is under warranty, get it replaced.  If not, you're screwed.

Support the12volt.com
jaybird2020 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
have the amps grounded to direct metal instead of the batt. the batt is the biggest filter in the car
jaybird2020 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
i just did a 2006 charger and i got the switch at the lighter . i installed a alpine 310 two fosgate amps new speakers all the way around it had noise also moved the ground of the batt and straight to metal noise was gone
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
The only way I got my previous pioneer headunit to not echo ground noise was to ground the head unit at the grounding location of the amplifier. Yes- I had to run a  ground wire from the head unit to the amps ground terminal. Oh and make sure you ground the amp to bare metal that has been sanded. The problem of ground noise usually occurs when the  RCAs tryto ground between the amp and the head unit's ground simultaneously. This causes a gradient of resistance which let's ground noise be inducted throughout the RCAs which are directly connected to the both pieces of hardware. If you ground both the amp and the headunit together at the same resistance over the same distance then you level the Delta Resistance and block inductive current.
DYohn 
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Grounding issues in the line-level signal can be a problem in any head unit, but in my experience Pioneer has more than its share of this failure.  The problem occurs when there is a fault in the motherboard and the RCA ground is floating above the system ground so that there is a differential voltage potential.  Sometimes this can be solved by ensuring the amps and the HU use the exact same ground reference, but not always, sometimes high-quality RCA cables can help, sometimes you have to physically add a ground lead to the outer ring of the RCA cables (which can actually cause more problems over time if the connection corrodes or the added ground wire picks up induced noise.)  I've known some people who have taken their top-of-the-line Pioneer heads back to their dealer four times before they got one that did not have this problem.  Pioneer units sound great when they do not have this issue, but when they do... it can be a real big problem.  For this reason, I usually do not recommend Pioneer heads.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic