the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Professional Installion without Hoodpin?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bendalton 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
I have a question for all of your gurus out there...
I recently had my autopage 855lcd installed in my 96 buick century by an authorized autopage dealer in Indianapolis.
All has been going well with it until yesterday when I opened up the hood to listen for an unrelated noise and leaned over the edge and bumped my remote in my pocket and started the car! Luckily when I heard the car power on, I made sure to stand clear while it started so I wasn't hurt.
I checked and there was no indication of any hoodpin being installed. From everything I've read on here, this seems like a big no-no.
So, how should I proceed in this situation? The worst part about this is the fact that the installer is over an hour away and the only way I can get up there during their hours is to either take a half day off of work or to drive up and ruin my Saturday. To top it off, my car guzzles a bit of gas and it will probably cost me 10 bucks in gas to get up there.
Should I call them and talk to the manager? What should I request that they do?
I was really frustated at first with this company when they charged me over double what they quoted me initially (note: the initial quote was over the phone and they did get my approval before they completed the work). But, after that, I was satisfied. Until I found out that when I turned off my car via the remote, the alarm went off. I called the shop and they said that the problem was in the unit, and definitely not a programming issue, and that I would have to buy a new one. I thought about it and looked in the installation manual and ended up reprogramming a couple features for ignition controlled locking and the problem went away. I was really frustrated because that is what they told me was the hardest part was programming the brain and they couldn't even do something that simple. And now, with the hoodpin, I'm just REALLY FRUSTRATED.
Any suggestions?!
Thanks...
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Why spend the hour & Gas to only cause you more frustration.........
Check to see if someone locally does that. 
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Wow! 10 bucks for an hour of driving.. insane.
that's like 8-12 mpg.
Other than that. If you do not have a hoodpin for remote start safety shutdown, you should at least have a toggle switch tied to your neutral safety switch. This works well in areas with moisture/corossion problems.
keeps the switch inside the car near the fuse box or at least somewhere the customer knows, make sure there's an idiot sticker (saying the car is equipped with a remote start, be sure to turn this off before working on the car) somewhere under the hood, pref. near the batt or latch.
bendalton 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I'm just frustrated with this company. I just don't want to pay a penny more for this. I know much of this was my own fault for thinking, initially, that I wanted to do this myself. But, I think when a company claims professional installation and you pay the professional installation rate, you should get every SAFTETY feature installed.
It is two hours of driving (up and back) ~130 miles total which makes $10 not that crazy. :-)
I may or may not go back up there, but do you think that if I call, I should expect them to offer to install the hoodpin for free?
Thanks!
tom badger 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Bendalton,
Can't blame you for being frustrated and feeling sort of ripped off. In my opinion, it's imparative that a hood pin switch is installed, but not worth the hassle of going back to your installer to have it done if it's gonna cost you. If you have a local dealer that is reputable, explain your situation and either have them install it, or buy a hood pin switch from them for a couple of bucks and install it yourself as long as you feel comfortable and competent doing it. One thing you may want to make sure of is that the installer did not tie the hood pin wire to an existing hood pin switch that was already on the vehicle and diode isolate it. I doubt this is the case, but worth checking on.
The Badger
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
If they want positive word of mouth and no possible lawsuits I would think they would be more than willing to correct the issue for free.  Safety is just not something you take lightly.  I would definitly call them and  and complain.  You do not have to be a jerk but be firm with your requests.  Negative word of mouth can really hurt a business.
Good Luck!
-Thad
bendalton 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I just called the shop and spoke with the manager. This guy is very slick and convincing. He says that they NEVER install a hoodpin on a car unless a) the owner requests it or b) it is an older vehicle with a belt driven radiator fan. He said that even the exposed belt in my engine would not harm me but just 'give [me] a whack'...
The said that I could bring the car in and they would install a hoodpin (but he didn't say for free).
Overall, I'm not reassured...
Is he right?
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I don't do hood pin unless it's a remote start or a customer request.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thats usually the procedure, if there is a factory hood pin we will connect and diode isolate, also as said if there is a fan.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
i ALWAYS install a hood pin switch.... it is the only thing that prevents someone getting an arm sucked into the fan should the unit accidentally be started while someone is working under the hood.... not to install one is pure laziness......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic