icon

Which Car Alarms are best?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xyabur 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to put an alarm system on my 2003 denali. I have been looking at the Compustar 2wss-AS, Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 and the Autopage RS-860LCD They seem to all have the same features, (compustar having the widest range). I need some help deciding which is the best unit. My truck has been stolen once. I don't want  a repeat.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
units are good.but for security against theft the install will have to match the product
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Compustar 2wss-AS, stay away from DEI
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Why do compustar people say satay away from DEI, The unit is bigger, really only useful for standereds, and personally out of the 15 i installed i recieved 5 defffective ones. Maybe i just had bad luck with the things. But personally i think its absolute crap.
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have never even heard of Compustar! but then i am in the UK :)
DEI stuff is all i fit now, they have a system for every need and the stuff is good quality and i have had very few problems.
DEI is my top pick.
xyabur 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
can anyone answer me this? If compustar has a range of 6000ft , how is clifford's and autopage's 3000ft range any different when they all are 900mhz? Wouldn't that make their ranges all about the same?
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Don't know if it's what you were thinking, but frequency doesn't define range; a whole bunch of factors play into it also, which is part of their design, like antenna, transmit power, coding, etc.
xyabur 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

hey daulsport, have you tried the compustar 2wss?

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't, so go by what the others have said about it- it was just a general comment because it seemed like you might have been associating frequency with range.   Probably since the ads for cordless phones tend to give that impression when they say 2.4GHz is better than 900MHz, 5.8 better than 2.4, etc.
Antenna placement and the vehicle it's put in plays a major factor too-
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

dont mind  KarTuneMan  he's a rabid anti-DEI guy......  ( you'd almost swear he caught a DEI rep in his bed at home or something... ha ha )

I've sold both and both are good brands and both have their pros and cons, for range i would say go with the Compustar... for inherent build quality i would say go with DEI....  i could put pretty much any product i want in my own vehicles and I went with Clifford....   keep in mind Clifford has been in the security business for years now and back in the early eighties our premium security systems we sold were all Clifford..... Compustar is basically an alarm thrown on the back of a good remote starter...... whereas i always say Clifford is a remote starter thrown on the back of a good security system......

the end result will be a totally subjective decision on your part... buy the one YOU like and can afford.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic