icon

port tuning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hondaboy_1991 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I been reading and trying to find out for two days what i should tune my box to.  I searched and read about everything on here but i still cant make my mind up so i need some help.  All i listen to is rap so i hope yall will help me so i can get this last box built but i do have a idea what it should be around we see if i right first before i start.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

Let's see...ooops my crystal ball just broke.  I got a vision of a few things though...you drive a honda hatchback, an older model...it's maybe a '91...you were born about 6 years before the car was...you listen to Eminem and Young Gunz...but there's something missing.  Oh yeah, the subs!  I can't visualize what subs you have!  How can we help without knowing that??

Really though, that might help.  But it could help you, too, because almost every sub manufacturer lists some recommendations for vented boxes in their manuals.  Most are tuned to about 40 Hz.  That's not necessarily where a box designer/builder would end up tuning the same subs...but it seems a pretty good choice for rap and hip hop.  The designer might try to tune a little lower in most cases for an everyday listening situation like you have.  It all boils down to the space you have to work with and the T/S parameters of the sub.

Remember:  you're not going to get much output below the tuning frequency.  The sub becomes unstable under that frequency and so the lower freqs have to be filtered out. 

Here's two examples of low bass freqs that I've tested:  the low bass in the live version of Hotel California is at 40 Hz.  And this other one is a pop song but I know you're familiar with it - Doncha wish your girlfriend could be...by that all girl dancing group.  The bass that finally booms in that song is at 41 or 42 Hz.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I asked for one of the Pussycat Dolls for Christmas, but it never fell through.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
hondaboy_1991 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
eminem anit rap he some punk ass white boy who every other white boys like cause they think he something and no i drive a accord and why you just cant help me why you got to try to make me look like some little kid that dont know what he tryin to do.  Just forget the question i do it myself man but thanks for tryin to help though.
geepherder 
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Chill man.  Steve offered you some great advice, and was just trying to offer a little humor at the same time (not to offend you). Stick around and you'll get to like it.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Um, that's just the way I always talk.  For an old white guy did I get the Young Gunz part right?  The 40 Hz thing is what I was getting at if that's anything close to what you were thinking.  And, oh yeah, I design vented boxes so I know a thing or two about it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hondaboy_1991 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

i know you know what you talking about cause i read some of your post and i was hoping you be the one who answer my question and i wasn't being mean im just getting a big ass head ache from this box.  I want this one to be the last and i want everything to be pefect  since im put alot of work on this one.

geepherder 
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Post up what subs you're using and we can sit back and let the mad scientists in here crunch some numbers for you.  What kind of sound are you going for- do you want a balanced system to compliment your speakers, or are you looking for something to knock your head clean off?  Depending on what you want, a sealed box might suit your needs as well.  Just let us know.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
steve you are crazy. but not as crazy as me heheheheheheh weeeeeee   ksadjfa;slkdhfaskdfha;sdkfjha;slkdfjha;sjdlhfaj;fsdkdjfa;skdjfa;skdjf ummmm port tuning yummmmport tuning -- posted image. port tuning -- posted image. port tuning -- posted image. port tuning -- posted image. port tuning -- posted image. port tuning -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
stevdart 
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
boxes = headaches.  We know that brother.  I'm working on a system for the house and I'm staring at these drawings, trying to fix in my mind every detail in the order it has to be done, and really fervently wishing that the damn thing would just suddenly materialize and be done.  But, when all is said and done, going through the stress and finally arriving in the end with a great sound system that you built yourself makes it all that much better.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic