icon

2006 Scion xB alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cjastacio 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone?  Please??  I am planning on starting the install on Monday.  Thanks in advance for the help.
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
No they are not the same wire you will have to test the 2, and that will determine which one is the starter and which one is the ignition.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
So then, one I use for the starter interrupt relay, the one that tests positive only when I turn the key to start the car.  The other wire, I'm assuming the ignition wire, will be used as the ignition input for my alarm?
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
yup.  Starter only has power during crank. Ignition has power in on and during crank.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks cntrylvr79 much appreciated! 
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and quick tip, don't use a test light buy a cheap DMM instead.
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

Just a quick tip for u.  From what I remember from putting my alarm in, the black starter wire is a thing guage wire and the black ignition is thick.  Check that out and test the thin one and it should be the starter

cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys!  I got the DMM covered already.  I was wondering if there are any physical characteristics to distinguish the wires.  What kind of a genius puts two wires for different functions as the same color in the same plug?  Somehow I would expect better out of Toyota:)  But shouldn't the starter be the thiker guage wire since it is supposed to be a high amperage circuit?  Were there any other difficulties you encountered from your, tbone587, install that I should avoid?
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Not all the time. And there are not necessarly more amps moving through. Some cars don't even have a starter wire any more.
cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Just a quick follow up on my install.  I finally finished, the most difficult thing was running all of the wires.  There was also one minor difference.  My alarm allows for programming a double pulse output which was great because according to the wiring diagram I found on this site that feature was needed.  When I installed the alarm I actually found out that a single pulse for unlock was just fine, in fact if I left a double pulse it would unlock all of the doors.  The other shortcut I found was regarding the negative door trigger.  According to the diagram the negative door trigger was in an awqward spot to reach.  So I followed it and found that the same wire, same color too, runs along a bundle of wiring in the driver side kick panel.  It was much easier to solder at that point!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic