icon

subs distort

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
qmw54 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 99 chevy silverodo , pioneer deh 3700 mp head unit , sony xplod 1200 amp (200x2 rsm)  , two pioneer 350 watt max (100 watt normal) 10's. when i turn the vol. up the subs distort rather quickly  they do it even quicker on low bass and i have tweaked all the nobs as best as i can its still not sounding like it should. could it be the box ? could the box not be air tight ? sucky subs? not enuff power ? i dont kno this is where yall come in.

thanks qmw54

qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  

would stuffing the box help ?

what do you stuff the box with like what kind of batting (what is batting ?)

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
What size box are you using and what type of Pioneer subs exactly are we talkin about?
qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
not sure on the size pretty sure its .95 or 1 cf . not sure on the sub model my brother gave them to me and all he told me was 100 normal 350 max 
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
The box sounds right for that size truck. It depends on how long and how hard of abuse these subs have seen...you should invest in some better subs though. 100 watt rms subs aren't going to get you the bass response your looking for and you don't have to spend that much money either.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
willdkartunes comment is not accurate.  An enclosure should be sized for the speakers in it, not for the vehicle it's mounted in.  Find the model number of the subs and we can advise you on the proper enclosure for them.  You say your subs are rated at 100 watts RMS, but you are feeding them 200 watts RMS?  That is one problem, especially if your gain is set incorrectly.  Also, what kind of impedance load are you placing on the amp?  I'd be willing to bet it is your amplifier setup and not the enclosure at all.  And no, 'stuffing the box' will probably not help.  Also, there is no relation between the power rating of the speakers and whether they will have proper bass response.  The power rating of the speaker only tells you how much power they can handle, not how low or how loud they will play. 
Support the12volt.com
qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
i am new to this your probly right . impedance load what is that ?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

Impedance is the electical load connected to the amplifier (measured in ohm's).  Resistance is the opposition to current flow in a DC circuit (also measured in ohms).  Impedance is the opposition to current flow in an AC circuit (since audio signals are basically AC).  See what the power ratings of your amp is at what ohm load (two ohms, four ohms, etc.).  Also check what your subs are rated at- how much power they can handle and how many ohms (probably four).

Near the top of the screen to the left, look under Basics, click on Ohm's law and read up.  Also under Car Audio, click on Woofer Wiring.  This site has some great resources.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

the ratings i put are for 4 ohm speakers and amp  so 100 watt normal  350 watt max 4 ohm  speakers  and 200x2 4 ohm amp

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
What DYohn said...  You've got the wrong subs / amp combination.  Upgrade to subs that are rated at 200 watts continuous power handling (each) and then spend a day making sure the gain on the amp is set right.  What geepherder said...  Use the help info available on this site, including the subs distort -- posted image. Search function.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic