icon

Need pro's advice on enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
driverswanted 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

Just make sure, as far as the length goes, that you're measuring in the center of the port. For example, the port turns 90 degrees right in the middle. You'll be measuring 14.5 inches (29" divided by two) in the center, whereas the outside of the port will measure 15.25 inches on either side of the angle, and the inside of the port will measure 13.75 inches on each side.

example (measure the red line)

Need pro's advice on enclosure - Page 2 -- posted image.

1995 Maxima
-n8
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

downstarinc wrote:
can the ports be at any angle...meaning, can you make them in a shape as an L?? I need a long port without that much space..

from PM: I just noticed that the measurements u gave for the port was only for one port..i have 4...would that mean i would double up the width?? would 2 ports at 3wide 12.5 long and 29 deep each be good?? and what freq. would it be tuned at?

No you cannot do that. That port is completely out of range for these subs and would actually damage them if used. We looked at the link you gave us and the kickers in that are in the pics are made to work in a common box. The JLs that you guys have cannot do that. They each have to have their own division on the box. You can pseudo the ports together. We'll post a rough plan up asap for you. The frequency the ports are tuned allow for up to 80 Hz approximately. If we read our notes properly, the port will allow for 30Hz(possibly 26) to 80Hz before it starts to flutter.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
downstarinc 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
well im starting to glass the trunk tomorrow (the base) but i really wanna go ported..(bellsracer) your help is greatly appreciated...just to remind, 4 12" jl audio w6v2's...thanks!
jl audio..nuff said
no0p 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

downstarinc wrote:
well im starting to glass the trunk tomorrow (the base) but i really wanna go ported..(bellsracer) your help is greatly appreciated...just to remind, 4 12" jl audio w6v2's...thanks!

a little off topic.. but 4 12's are going to hit hard!  I used to have 3 12 w6 the original not v2  running off of a ppi 21400 in my 2000 caddy sts that used to hit hard!   good luck on your project, hopefully I can start glassin my box soon as it warms up for my 1 12'' w7

reppin' clublexus!
downstarinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
it hits hard already..but its all box..so imma make it all purrdy..hope it still hits hard tho.
jl audio..nuff said
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hey downstarinc, sorry that I havent responded in a few days.  I know you may have already started on this so hope I reached you in time,  just a few quick questions, roughly what size is the box, and any idea what frequency you would like?
downstarinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Need pro's advice on enclosure - Page 2 -- posted image.
jl audio..nuff said
downstarinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
i think maybe a freq. of like 30's or so...i want a sql/spl system
jl audio..nuff said
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

haha well thats a different response than I expected downstar, are all four subs gonna be in the same enclosure, or are there going to be baffles in between each sub?  Ill work on trying to calculate the interior volume of this for now...

downstarinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
if they could all be in the same enclosure that would be better...well whatever you recommend for a freq., i want it loud and clean..
jl audio..nuff said
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic