icon

Tired of hearing about big box stores

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Why does everyone think so evil of these places. I work at best buy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. We do just as much work as the next shop if not more because of the traffic we get. I understand that some stores do crappy jobs but the most of them do excellent. Can we please just drop the whole big box stores do crappy work thing. Why can't we just get along. I'm not ripping on customs shops either. I think it's all the same industry that we are trying to improve so why can't we all just help futher car audio together.
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  
In my experience most big box stores do crappy work. If there is an exception, its because they lucked out and got a decent installer. I cant think of any good installers I have dealt with at box stores that weren't trained at a specialty shop first. I worked at Ultimate electronics for a while. they had no standards for hiring, and as a result, produced crappy installs. Most of the insallers I know have a similar story to tell.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

I used to work for Circuit City for 11 years in the Roadshop. it comes down to the quality of the people working there and their training. Yes we would hire "green" installers looking for a chance. some turned out great and some were worthless. in small shops you don't have the time or manpower to train "green" installers so that they can work without supervision.

each place servers a purpose and it it all comes down to taking care of the customer.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
I uninstalled a system that cc installed. what a hack job. they twisted wires together then taped them. speakers mounted with only 2 screws? wires looked like spaggetti. I unistalled a system that a local shop did too. It was also a hack job. The remote wire for the amp was hooked up to the power windows fuse in the fuse panel. why they didn't use the remote from the clairion head unit I have no clue. So I guess you can get a crappy install anywhere.
Big Dave
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
You know what they say, you dont wanna be served by a person on their first or last day of work.  Its the motivation and work ethics of the installers themselves.  Some people will do a shhhty job others will out do themselves because they beleive in what they r doing
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
I work at big box and I agree with whats above. I have seen complete shhh outta Big Box stores and work just as bad outta independants. There are pluses and minuses to both. Most independants pay per job so if you get a guy who is driven solely by money they are probally gonna rush the job just to kick it out the door and move on, esspecially if its busy. At the big box side, obviously it comes down to inexperience. Alot of big box stores have inexperienced installers and it can show. I've been in the industry for 6 years and the last 4 were spent as an installer. Right now I am one of the most experienced big box installers in Edmonton. At 4 years I wouldnt expect that.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the local big box just stole one of my installers. The local big box (FS) has been without an installer for some time now. I think that it is a good thing for me to lose this installer to them. As good as he could have been here if he had decided to stick around, he still lacks the confidence and abilities that will be placed on his shoulders and expected of him at the big box.  It is pretty sad in this industry that a store will hire someone just for the sake of hiring somneone so as not to lose business. It is really sad that a bog box must shop for a installer from the smaller custom shops that really and truly train the people in this industry. While he may have claimed his loyalty etc. for the last year he was here, loyalty means to do your job in the best interest of your employer, not to question him, not to argue with him. Sadly, this installer was not loyal like this. It is not in my best interest to keep him here and if things do not work out for him, there is no place for him to return to. He made his bed, now he can sleep in it. Once he has had his does of corporate policy, it will sure open his eyes in a hurry. PS, you FS installers, if you are interested, FS even offered to buy him tools as he had none of his own. To me that screams that what they can do for one installer, they can do for another. All in all, I know that my shop is going to become busier this year, especially if last month was any indication.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
No offence Forbiddien, but they must have offered a better compensation package then you or he would have stayed. You can't pay rent or buy food with loyalty or freindship. He more than likely went to them looking for something better. We are always looking for something better. That's why your shop is for sale is it not? Had you sold your shop wile he still worked there, where was your loyalty to him, and your other employess? Maybe he decided to get out before you sold to some one he would not like working for. What I'm saying is that there are lots of reasons for a employee to find other work.
Big Dave
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Burned!!!!!!!!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

Nope, no burn at all. The burn will start when this person starts working there and finds out that he cannot argue with his employer. Hell just this morning I was faced with a issue with this person. I am truly better off without him and with him working for the competition, things will be far better here. As far as pay goes, if the largest big box in Canada can pay more money and benefits, how exactly is that a burn? I knew this all along. But to hire someone and give him false promises, well his eyes will be opened soon enough. The local FS has not had a installer for so long that they are desperate. Desperation leads to hiring anyone, like this person who has not even close to the right amount of training to be "the man" in their install bay.

BTW, they came to him and to the other competitor as well. Would you leave for a .50 cent an hour increase in wages? Do you think that if I felt he was worth the increase in wage I would have given it to him to keep him here. No thanks, I'll keep my primary installer here who is being paid way more than they are paying him. This installer seems quite happy and is able to live within his paycheque, unlike the one that is leaving.

My shop is not for sale as I am looking for something better, it is for sale as I want a change. I want to be free from owning my business, free to take vacations etc. I am 98% of the way into law enforcement (RCMP) at this time. I will consider other options if it does not pan out and for a person of my age and experience, there are more than a long list of businesses that would hire me on the spot. As far as if the new employer keeps the staff on, well it not proper for me to guess at what may or may not happen. It would no longer be my business to run.

I wish this installer who is leaving all the best, he is about to enter the world of corporate BS. If he cannot put up with meinstructing him how to do his job properly, imagine how his new boss is going to deal with him when he does not know how to do the job at all and then chooses to argue about it.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic