the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Tired of hearing about big box stores

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
In my opinion, this is a prime example of what this thread was all about, how a big box can get a bad name for a poor job done. It all starts with the people they hire. Perhaps there are some big box stores that do great work, the local one has lost money since it first opened, I wonder why that is?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Autosoundg 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have been doing this for 15 years and the BB jobs i usually see are hack jobs. I am sure there are good installers here and there but typically here in NJand we see a lot of poor installations and that makes not only this industry look bad but even the custom places like ourselves.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
There are very few old dogs left in this industry (soon to be one less for that matter). In this case my installer who is leaving is not ready for the job that lay in front of him. I do not see how this can be good for this industry nor any retailer. Would you if you owned a business, keep an employee there who was not capable of doing his/her job.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly.
Here is another nice example. We ended up with a former chain bay manager working for me (now he doesn't). I really couldn't fathom why an install lead would have so little experience/skill. His replacement is also one of my former employees, little experience, but wanted the greener grass on the other side of the fence.
There is a total of 3 years cumulative experience with minimal training behind it at the local box store, between 2 installers. I can't see how some of the jobs they do would be anything other than a mess..... they just don't have the training and guidance to know how to make a starter go in there neatly.
I'll sit over here with my close to 15 years of experience.....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

Rob you are selling for something better. A change is better, vacations are better, not running your own biz is better. I'm not trying to bust your boys. I am just saying people have reasons to move on. You do and he does.Tired of hearing about big box stores - Page 2 -- posted image. oh yeah I forgot I'm not trying to burn anyone just giving my opinion.

Big Dave
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
About the old dogs leaving the business., the local head shop installer and genius in my opinion, recently switched jobs.  He was tired if the unstable work and working with idiots.  Its too bad because he is one of the top installers in the state.  I'm just not sure you can work for a life time in this job and not want a change at some point.  As for big box stores, it is hard to compete with free installation but what I remind them is you can't get anything for free and the installation usually reflects that.  It also helps that the one near me can't schedule you a definite time, they say to drop it off for 3 days and they will get to it in that time period.  That may not be an installer problem as much as a management problem.  The quality of work is a direct reflection of the installer.  I stand behind my work, take pride in it, and if something is wrong, you can bet I'll do whatever it takes to get it right.
Good Luck!
-Thad
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Like I said before you can get a hack job anywhere. the trick to getting and keeping good installers, or employees for any biz is to pay them decent. Provide decent benifits, and a good place to work. Treat them the way you wan't to be treated. Thats what the big box does. They have the funds to do so even if they lose money in that dept. Car audio in a big box is so you come inside and look around at the tv's, dvd players, dvd's, cd's, frigs, stoves, and a million other things they sell. thats why they install for free so you'll walk around the store. You might not buy anything else that day, but they know you'll be back. big box is here to stay like it or not. that's cause they give the sheeple what they want. Everthing under one roof. Is it the end of Mom and Pop I don't think so. There are still plenty of people that seek out that stile of biz. Just one man's opinion
Big Dave
forbidden 
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Here is another opinion, when you have to argue with a employee on a daily basis, is it an employee issue or a owner issue. This is simple, it is not a discussion, you do what your employer tells you. When you shift blame to others or are "sick" 5 days a month, this is not a employer issue at all. Some people look for easy street, my store is not about easy street. It is about doing the job properly the first time with a level of integrity far above the other shops.

In an act of sheer desperation they made an offer to this kid. How many installers do you people employ that do not own their own tools? FS is buying him tools to get him there as well, if he stays for a year (which I now know they do not expect him to), the tools are "his to keep" (right, after working for a big box, get it in writing). Now, not knowing how the benefits package work there, they also told him that he could have his girlfriends teeth fixed at no charge and in specific they would pay for the braces. Braces are cosmetic work, I don't know of one company in the industry that covers cosmetic work. What else, oh, we'll call you a manager (of a 1 person bay). So let's see how green the grass is on the other side or how gullible this person truly is, time will tell. At the end of the day this can be looked at two ways. As an employer if the work outweighs the BS, you pay him and keep him employed. For him if the new work outweighs the BS, it is a good deal for him. Personally, as a past employee of a big box, I know that the BS outweighs the work done. This is why most of the old dogs in the industry own their own shops.

forbidden 
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
I stand firm that even if I end up staying in business for whatever reason (the RCMP could bump me for any reason that I am unaware of), I know that my shop will be better off without this person. I know that my business is going to improve with this person installing for the big box. Sadly again, I also know that this installer is going to become one of the statistics in the industry that this thread is all about.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

Well Im going to stay away from Rob and Speedway's discussion in this one and just respond to the author about the big box stores and why we rag on them.

Yes there are plenty of great installers at BB, CC, and FS, Im sure there are hundreds of them, but that is out of thousands of employees.  I worked at BB for a while last year, would have preferred my local custom shop, but they werent hiring and honestly couldnt afford to take a risk on me.  BB offered me good pay (for a 17 year old kid it was honestly just great), an opportunity to do what I love, and a great way to get into the business.  Now I was a salesman in the car-fi department, not an installer, but the installers back the whole car-fi department got to be like one big family.  Our two main installers had gotten in the business at Best Buy and were still working there 7 years later.  These guys have no custom work on their application, but I cant think of a thing on my car I wouldnt feel comfortable with them doing if I needed a hand.  Thats because with these two it was about the hobby for them years back, just like it is for me right now, they took the time to learn how to do things right, even if the company didnt spoon feed it to them.  There are guys like this all over the place, just because you work for a company doesnt mean that the quality of your work is on par with the quality of the company.

However, we crack jokes at the big boxes' expense because not everybody is like this.  If you go to a custom shop and have work done, MOST of the time (and I stress the most), you know that if you wanted to go quiz the installers on some pretty advanced stuff, they will know it.  Best Buy, and to my knowledge all of the big boxes, do not really train people.  Ive seen what training is like there, and it basically consists of watch this video, now watch this installer, now get out there and bust out some overhead screen installs and remote starts.  They dont take the time to really have them look over another installers back for a week or two and see how things should be done.  At BB within a week of working as an installer, even if you have no experience, you can expect to be out in that bay by yourself, with nobody to ask questions to if you get a little bit lost.  They also dont take time to really pick out good installers, Rob was right about how they get desperate and take anybody.  There are only so many enthusiasts in this business, I know for a store like BB Im a steal, I require no training, and really have full product and installation knowledge (within what best buy does, Im not saying I know everything).  Custom shops only look for these guys, because they cant afford to have a bad reputation for bad installs, and take pride in what they do.  Big boxes are left just taking anybody that they feel will be able to grasp the concept of splicing a harness onto the back of a deck and popping it into the car.  I know at my girlfriend's store they were taking a random guy from LP (Loss Prevention) and he was about to start in the install bay, this guy had no prior experience in car audio, no idea what he was doing at all, but the install bay pays better than most other positions at these stores so he wanted the job.  I had a hard time getting into a custom shop where I live, after reading this forum daily, and installing things on the side for the past 4 years, where this guy just goes in and gets a full time install job at a big box, I cant begin to imagine a custom shop that would hire a guy like this, just because they pay well.

So in short, sure there are some great installers at the big boxes, the pay, benefits, and job security are very enticing to some amazing installers.  But in general the big boxes dont really take the time or steps necessary to really make sure that the work pushed out of their bays is top notch like smaller shops do.  Hope this clarifies.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic