the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

6 Free-air Subs with Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
We did a job for a quy last week and he wanted 6 kicker free-air 12s installed in his car with an old punch 200 DSM. Now, the speakers were well used as was the subs. We built the box and 3 12s on each side facing each other and tunneled up into his back seat. Now, my question is since they are free-air and we did put them in sort of a box does the box have to be air tight? Once you see the pics you will understand what I am asking a little better. Anyways it sounded like crap and the subs would crap out with the smallest amount of bass. is that because the box is not air tight or because like what I think the subs are shoot out and needs to look for something else. the guy called and told me that the box is leaking and thats why it sounds like crap. Look at the pics and any questions I will try to answer and input would be great. Now there is a top on it. We glued, screwed and nailed it together but no chaulk we did not think since being a free-air system and the box was not for air space air tight was not an issue.
Thanks
Wade
6 Free-air Subs with Pics -- posted image.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
Wade, free air is another word for infinate baffle. This type of sub needs NO box. however it is extremely important that you in no way hear what's coming off the BACK of the sub. A better way to do this install would be to build an MDF baffle board the exact size of the rear seat back. Mount the subs facing the rear seat and allow the entire trunk to act as the box. When you can hear what's coming off the rear of the sub you are basically out phasing the speaker and all the bass disappears.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Walkercustoms 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well the reason behind this box is because we cound not get the 6 subs to fit. Now we did put a baffel along the back seat. here is a pic
6 Free-air Subs with Pics -- posted image.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

It looks from here that you are resticting the air behind the subs which is the opposite of what you want to do. I would ditch the box, cut 12" holes in the baffle board for as many twelves as will fit and take a listen. If 3 or 4 sound good versis 6 that sound awful I think that will convince your customer which way is best and it should be easy for you to try.

Walkercustoms 
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Well I do not have a pic from the inside but, that fron baffel has a whole about I don't remember but like 10x12 or so. that was not a good pic becuse the system was not complete but there is a whole cut in the front baffel that leads into his back seat. Now, we did metion to him that we need to mount the subs they way you suggested but, we could not get all six to fit and this is how he wanted them. You know how those dudes are the don't understand why what they want wont work and what you suggested is stupid and not going to work. So, we just built what he wanted. sorry about the pic but, I thought I had one that showed the cut out in the front baffel.
Thanks
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
I know exactly what you mean. When a customer overides my opinion on settup and it sounds like azz well to bad.
Walkercustoms 
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

So, do you thing that whole being in that front baffel is good enough?  i don't claim to know all about car audio but, enough to know if something is going to sound good after I am done.  If the customer has decent stuff you know.

Thanks

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
No, you might be missunderstanding what I'm trying to say. You cut a whole for EACH speaker. mount the speaker physically to the baffle board and fire it into the rear seatback. You might be only able to get 2 or 3 of them on the baffle board space wise but that's the way it goes. The idea being twofold, first the woofers are opened up to the entire trunk's capacity and second none of the sound off of the back of the sub gets into the car. It's an easy fix and should work without wasting too much more of your time. Good luck.
Walkercustoms 
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Naw man, I understand exactly what you mean and I thought by putting a top on that thing we built and mounting it to the front baffel we would be good.  If he calls back I will let him know again that we can get 3 in there and do it the right way.  But, these guys here just want to fit 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag you know.  What sux the most is that when people look at it and say thats not going to work why did you take it to them the customer will not say well its what I wanted and they told me the right way to do it but I did not want to.  He will say well I just dropped the car off and this is what they did and he will fail to mention that he drew out what he wanted it to look like.

Thanks

Wade

t-roy81 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

off topic but how do you tell if a sub is free air will it say it or can any sub go free air?

Oh Man Theres Troy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic