icon

Avic- N2 Having to Ground Rca's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deenasty 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a Pioneer Avic N-2 Into my TA.  I am also running a JL 500/1 amp for my 2 JL w3 12's; and a jl 300/4 for my mid's and high's and an external crossover.  When I connected everything I was having really bad feedback, even with the radio off.  I was told the remote always stays on on a navigation unit.  The only way I got rid of it was if I grounded the rca's!  I ran a wire from the ground on the radio to the outer edge of the rca's and the noise is gone. What can cause this? 
Brianas 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

do you have all your equipment properly grounded?

try a chassis ground for the N2

free_refil 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
I would also try grounding all of your equipment to the same grounding point.
Pioneer AVIC-F700BT
Polk Audio MM6
Alpine MRD-M605
Alpine MRV-F450
Alpine SWR-1242D
RF 1 Farad Cap
Streetwires ZN Interconnects
KnuKoncepts Power Wire
deenasty 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
well im using a smart harness for the radio, and my amps are both grounded to the same point.  I grounded the rca's and a lot of noise went away but not 100%.  You suggest me chassis ground the deck? 
free_refil 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I'd do, chassis ground it to same point as your amps and other equipment are grounded.
Pioneer AVIC-F700BT
Polk Audio MM6
Alpine MRD-M605
Alpine MRV-F450
Alpine SWR-1242D
RF 1 Farad Cap
Streetwires ZN Interconnects
KnuKoncepts Power Wire
ohlarikd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
If its not feasible to ground everything to the same point, try a RCA Ground Loop Isolator. You can get them from Radio Shack, or elsewhere I assume. I used them in my old truck and all the noise went away 100%.
Derek
deenasty 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
well I got rid of the engine noise by grounding the rca's. I tried a chassis ground with all of the points, and no luck.  The only other noises I am hearing now is the radio "thinking" or "processing". Like small series of beeps, or when the cd spins.  What in the world is this?
ohlarikd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Try the isolator....
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2062214&cp=&kw=ground+loop+isolator&parentPage=search
$17, worth a shot. I bought 3. But get one and disconnect the rear and sub to see if there is any difference.
Derek
customnate 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
OKAY!! First off guys a ground loop isolator isnt gonna do jack its like a capacitor a short term fix!
OKAY i have had this issue before!! anything ya can imagine to go wrong ive seen it lol!!
First off you have to recognize a few things!!
What RCAS are you running? second is signal and power running down the same side?
and on navigation the remote lead stays on like you are saying but it pulls so little current its not going to effec the system!!
If you ground chasis the radio, and did everyhting else correct, you have a short in the RCAS or the preouts on the deck are going bad, or shorting out inside the circuit board of the deck!!
any other questions get ahold of me at work man
727-726-3383
ask for NATE thats me =)
Sinceryly,
The Custom Nate
Ballerinstaller 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
I got the same thing. I was able to hear some beeps, bleeps, whirs, clicks, and some hiss. Most of the music sounded like it was coming out of a church, not much stereo dimension. If you have similar symptoms, I hate to break it to ya, but you probably blew open the ground fuse to your rca's. You can verify this by disconnecting all rca's to amps and other accessories. Then ohm out the shield to the chassis of the radio with the power disconnected. You shoud see less than 5 ohms. If not, and you read about 200kohm, you blew the fuse.
     This happened to mine and my fix is to open the radio up, locate the small board that the rca's plug into in the rear. Desolder the board in the two spots. Remove the board and turn it over. Locate the tiny black package that has white writing on it. It should say something like fz101 or something like that on the circuit board right next to it. Jumper over it with a piece of small wire and presto! No more crappy audio.
You may ask how this can happen. Usually it is caused by a bad ground on an amp. Mine was caused by some strange cross connection through my neon lights, which no one has yet to figure out how that happened as I was no where near the radio nor the rca's during the install. (possible weak part in radio??)
Pioneer Avic-N1
Clarion 300 watt 4 channel amp
PPI PC21400 1400 watt amp
2x JL 12 inch w7's
Polk EX series in factory locations
2000 Impala LS
Baller Installer - Pete D.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic