the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Thoughts on High End Mids/Tweets?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Right now I am in the process of planning upgrades to my system. The first thing I want to concentrate on is the selection of my mids (6.5") and highs (any size) to help me plan the rest of the system. I am planning on running a 3way system using an active elec. xover (Behringer UltraDrive Pro DCX2496). So this will give me the option to mix & match mids & highs. Mounting depth of mids should be kept under 3".
I have heard a lot of good things about the Seas Lotus drivers in the forums. Dynaudio has had a good reputation, but Car Audio's review of them wasn't as favorable as I had hoped. Any thoughts on these or other mids/highs? In your opinion what would be a good match?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

How are you going to set your crossovers and other processing?  Read my thread above about advanced front speakers and you will get an idea of what it takes to set up a system like this correctly.  It generally requires expensive equipment and a great deal of time.  And trying to do it without that equipment is like trying to do a perfect rendition of the Mona Lisa on an etch-a-sketch.

If you are planning a 3-way set, then I would recommend using a smaller midrange than a 6.5" driver.  Since you will have a midbass to take care of the low end, you don't need the extra extention that the 6.5" will give you.  One that I might recommend is this driver: http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=533  It has incredible midrange capabilities, as well as great upper bandwidth which may help on your tweeter selection.

bogey 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have read your thread, great thread BTW.
Steven Kephart wrote:
How are you going to set your crossovers and other processing?
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for here. If you are asking about dB slope or type (Linkwitz Riley, Butterworth, Bessel), I'm not sure about that yet. If you are asking about crossover frequencies ideally I would like to keep them out of the vocal range 300-3k or so.
Steven Kephart wrote:
It generally requires expensive equipment
I make no pretensions about being rich or an audiophile. I am passionate about sq and I'm willing to save patiently. I will end up piecing my system together, but I want to make sure I buy good stuff along the way.
I'm a little surprised you recommended a 4.5" over the 6.5". The bass extension, though, was pretty impressive for its size. Just to make sure we're on the same page, when I said 3way I was including the sub (low/mid/high). With this in mind would you still make the same recommendation? It is a beautiful driver, but isn't it make for home use? Can I use that in my car?
As always, thanks for the help.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 4:52 AM / IP Logged  

bogey wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for here. If you are asking about dB slope or type (Linkwitz Riley, Butterworth, Bessel), I'm not sure about that yet. If you are asking about crossover frequencies ideally I would like to keep them out of the vocal range 300-3k or so.
I make no pretensions about being rich or an audiophile. I am passionate about sq and I'm willing to save patiently. I will end up piecing my system together, but I want to make sure I buy good stuff along the way. 

The problem is that the equipment really isn't feasible for a hobbiest to purchase.  You are talking about equipment and software costing several thousand dollars and having a very steep learning curve.  That's why I generally recommend to people to go with the sets available from manufacturers where the design work is already done.  The only people who I would recommend going with something more custom is people like Dyohn or Heamphyst who have the know-how and equipment available to set things up correctly.

I have been fortunate to watch the design of quite a few speaker systems by a very talented engineer.  I have seen the complexity involved and am amazed when I see someone claim how easy it is on some of these DIY sites.  These are probably the same people who think Bose makes the best audio equipment on the market; where psychoacoustics rule their reality.

bogey wrote:
  I'm a little surprised you recommended a 4.5" over the 6.5". The bass extension, though, was pretty impressive for its size. Just to make sure we're on the same page, when I said 3way I was including the sub (low/mid/high). With this in mind would you still make the same recommendation? It is a beautiful driver, but isn't it make for home use? Can I use that in my car? 

Ah, I didn't realize the third "way" was in reference to a sub.  So in that case, I would recommend a 6.5" driver. 

As for the home/car thing, that driver should work just fine in a car.  Why wouldn't it?

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

bogey:

If you're dedicated to DIY speaker building, go ahead and start learning and invest in the equipment.  Don't let Steven scare you off if you really do have a thirst for the knowledge.  A commercial crossover can't be all things for all cars, so even if your home-built crossover isn't professional, it will arguably meet the quality of many mass market models as it will be designed for -your- car.

However, if you're doing this one car install, it really would be better to have someone else design it for you. 

As for the drivers, try the Adire Extremis.  I've built 3 pairs of home speakers now using Exodus/Adire kits.  I'm a believer in the XBL^2 technology they use.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
bogey 
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
If you're dedicated to DIY speaker building, go ahead and start learning and invest in the equipment.
Thanks man, I appreciate your words.
I guess I should define my use of the term "high end". With regards to your thread what I'm shooting for is the "good" or "better" category. May be one of these days go for the "best" category.
I can understand why it would be best to have the system dialed in by a professional? I read the article you pointed me to on bi-amping/tri-amping a few days ago in which he talked about matching amp power to the speaker's sensitivity, time alignment, phase, etc.(I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about "phase" if you have any links) The Behringer Xover I mentioned earlier, and that you recommended in your thread, says that will take care of phase and time alignment issues. Also, if I have this Xover's cousin the Behringer DEQ 2496, which comes with an onboard RTA, its 31 band digital eq should take care of dips and peaks in the speaker's response (This is a future purchase, I currently have an Alesis MEQ-230). Shouldn't these take care of the needed adjustments? Then I would just need to take it to someone capable of dialing everything in. Perhaps that way it would a good learning experience to see it done. Am I on the right path? I am certainly not meaning to argue with you, I just want to know. I would be curious to know about how much a professional would charge to do this, because I know that it would take a lot of time? Also, do you know of any in the east (OH, WV, VA, PA area)?
I would think that for now I would need to know the speakers so I could match them with the amps. Am I right?
Steven Kephart wrote:
As for the home/car thing, that driver should work just fine in a car. Why wouldn't it?
The reason I brought it up was I was politely chastised for considering the use of home speakers in the car. So I was a little confused.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

Bogey:

If you get those two Behringer components and the ECM8000 mic, you should be set.  Use steep and reasonable crossovers, do enough research to handle the phase and time alignment issues with the unit, and flatten with the DEQ2496.  It really should take care of everything quite expertly.  You seem rather literate, I'm sure you could figure it out on your own.  What's the worst that could happen?  You spend some money, end up with something less than the best, and learn a lot along the way.

Let's face it, money will always be spent in this hobby.  There will always be something better out there, and learning is always positive. 

Given the fact that the resale value of that Behringer equipment is high, I don't think you have anything to lose.  I say go for it! 

Also, home drivers work just fine in a car.  They may have a slightly shorter lifespan as the materials generally are not as "all-weather."  The drivers are also usually 8ohms, but all that means is that you'll be able to pull 1/2 as much max wattage from your amplifier.  Neither of these are really much of an issue for sound quality buffs, in my opinion.  SPL junkies would never use home drivers because of the max wattage issue.  Given the unfortunate fact that car audio is overrun with SPL junkies, you'll be scoffed at from time to time. 

Steven Kephart 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

bogey:

If you're dedicated to DIY speaker building, go ahead and start learning and invest in the equipment.  Don't let Steven scare you off if you really do have a thirst for the knowledge.  A commercial crossover can't be all things for all cars, so even if your home-built crossover isn't professional, it will arguably meet the quality of many mass market models as it will be designed for -your- car.

That's where I disagree.  Without proper testing equipment, there is no way he can design the crossover specifically for his vehicle.  Mass market sets generally are designed to work in most vehicle's, with minor equalization improving the results.  And as the environment has been somewhat taken into account, along with the response of the drivers in that environment; they will more than likely have the better results over an improperly designed DIY set.  Keep in mind that the crossover is THE most important part of the speaker set, even more so than the speaker selection or enclosure they are in.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

bogey wrote:
The reason I brought it up was I was politely chastised for considering the use of home speakers in the car. So I was a little confused.

One of Adire Audio's most popular subs originally was a home audio designed subwoofer, and it was used with huge success in the vehicle.  With subwoofers there are some minor design differences that may effect the results.  However for midrange drivers there really aren't any.  In fact most car speakers are made in the same build houses as home speakers, using the same materials and glues. 

kfr01 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:
kfr01 wrote:

bogey:

That's where I disagree.  Without proper testing equipment, there is no way he can design the crossover specifically for his vehicle.  Mass market sets generally are designed to work in most vehicle's, with minor equalization improving the results.  And as the environment has been somewhat taken into account, along with the response of the drivers in that environment; they will more than likely have the better results over an improperly designed DIY set.  Keep in mind that the crossover is THE most important part of the speaker set, even more so than the speaker selection or enclosure they are in.

O.k., but:

1) everyone has to start somewhere;

2) thousands of diy speakers are built a year, with acceptable results, with less than $2k software packages;

3) a thirst for knowledge and experience are always good things;

4) all he has to lose is time and money;

5) if he's fine with that, why should we discourage him from learning?

You never know.  He could buy a reasonably priced measurement mic; find a speaker testing jig for a reasonable price, new or used; download or buy some diy grade software.  Do his homework.   You never know.  He could have a very satisfying diy experience, be 100% happy with the sound, and have learned a load on the way.

Why is this so bad?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic