the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

New Member, site to buy components?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Those Peerless look solid too, hmm those coupled with those Morel Tweets, looks like a good choice.
also these will now be powered by a Kicker KX200.2 amp which does 50x 2 @ 4ohms and 100x2 @ 2ohms
any thoughts?
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

saturnsubohio wrote:
Those Peerless look solid too, hmm those coupled with those Morel Tweets, looks like a good choice.   also these will now be powered by a Kicker KX200.2 amp which does 50x 2 @ 4ohms and 100x2 @ 2ohms
any thoughts?

Go for it.

Support the12volt.com
saturnsubohio 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
k the peerless woofers are inbound... they will be here in like a week, the tweeters will be ordered shortly there after... the question is how do these look for Caps,Inductors.
Inductors i really want a .37mH inductor but .35 will be close enough i think
Cap: Capacitor
should be 11.7uF.. 12uF should do fine right?
this is set to make a 2nd order LPF @ 12dB per octave.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

Those components values should be fine for your low-pass filter, although I would recommend a higher guage for the inductor (like 14 or at least 16 AWG.)  For the high-pass portion, you'll want a 5.9uF cap and a 0.75mH inductor, and since you're looking at second order don't forget to reverse the electrical polarity of the tweeter.

-edit- when choosing component values, you are generally OK within +/-10% of theoretical.

Support the12volt.com
saturnsubohio 
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Pos of the tweeter to the "neg" of the X-Over right? diagram of that lurking anywhere on this site?
also DYohn, i looked @ the "premade" PCB's but they look kinda weird...
any suggestions as far as PCB's to use? im going to want to go with a PCB for sure.
any reason for the recommendation on the AWG of the Inductor?
Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure i do it right the first time.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
DYohn 
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, in a 2nd order crossover the woofer and tweeter signals are out of phase with each other, so the pos of the tweeter is connected to neg of the Xover.  Use higher gauge inductors in series with the woofer to limit the DCR they add to the circuit and the amount of power they rob.  You can use a 19 or 20 AWG inductor in parallel with the tweeter, but in series with the tweeter is where you want to use your best quality capacitor.  No need to use a PCB, and in fact I generally recommend against them as generic premade boards often lock you into things you may not need and the quality is never as good as simple point-to-point soldering.  I usually use a piece of perf board or peg board and attach the components to it using plastic tie wraps.  Some people use MDF or plywood and glue the components down with a hot glue gun.  I didn't examine the sensitivity of your two drivers but if the tweeter is more than 2db more sensitive than your woofer, you will want to add a fixed pad or L-pad (potentiometer) to the tweeter circuit to attenuate it to match the sensitivity of the woofer.
Support the12volt.com
saturnsubohio 
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Good info there DYohn regarding the mounting of the components.
Point and solder sounds about right for my abilities.
.. i believe that i will use some pegboard and zipties.
the sensitivity is exactly 2dB @ 1W/m apart.
91 Woofer/89 Tweet respecitively.
im going to have to add a "pad" on the tweeter to reduce it to a 4ohm Req. it is an 8 ohm tweeter i want to have a 2 ohm load @ the amp for 100 W.
Anything wrong with this? i couldnt think that there was except finding a decent sized resistor? or does that not even matter?
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't followed this entire thread and don't know what all you've accomplished here, but I could add a couple comments.  The sensitivity you described above...is that correct?  The woofer is higher sensitivity than the tweeter?

And have you taken a look at Speaker Workshop?  It would help you put the crossover together with more clarity of the result.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
saturnsubohio 
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
those are the specs directly from the sites and the PDF's that accompany the products
and no i have not taken a look @ the Speaker Workshop. but i will most certainly do that tomorrow. as its 1am and i have 8am statics
Stevdart: Please add as much as you can here, I wanna do this right the first time so whatever input you have to add please do not hesitate.
the products i'll be using are listed above, so far i have only purchased the woofers.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn was kind enough to give me much the same advice he gave you in crossover construction.  Some of what you learn though is going to be through working it up with the ability to make changes later.  Here's three examples of crossovers I've built through the learning process:

New Member, site to buy components? - Page 4 -- posted image.

On the above, I tried to conform to premade PCB boards.  I found it difficult and confusing, and this shows that I didn't grasp the concept of coil alignments.  The pre-printed layout of circles for the coils added to my confusion.  Two of these coils have to be stood on end at 90 degree angles.

With suggestions made by DYohn, I started to get the concept of using other materials for the board.  This made the process much easier as I could put the crossover network together as it looked in the Speaker Workshop schematic.  You see here that I still didn't understand coil layout and it was pointed out that I had two coils together in the same plane.  For this layout, I used his recommendation of high grade 16 ga. silver-coated connecting wire.  I found it to be wonderful for soldering.

By the time I built this one i had enough experience and foresight to put it together without the sleepless nights.  For this, I used the fiberboard you see on the back of clipboards, cut to size.  Used hot glue to secure the components.  I used the Speaker Workshop schematic and re-drew it onto a paper the size of the actual board.  Then I just copied what I drew onto the real board.

There will always be the availability of tweaking your crossover, so don't worry so much that it is perfect from the get-go.  Sometimes you just can't know, such as decibel loudness difference between the mid and tweeter.  You have to be able to allow yourself to make some changes.  Already, after listening to the speakers that this last crossover and its twin is in, I will be trying out a different pair of resistors for the tweeter.  The db drop will be barely 1 db, but I will try higher grade resistors as well.  That's a very subtle change in the overall sound but it's a privilege you are afforded when you are building your own passives

With what you described above insofar as relative sensitivity of the drivers, there is no need to put in padding on the tweeter as it is already less sensitive than the mid.  If you haven't purchased the tweeters yet, consider using a 6 or 4 ohm version, or match the mid in that regard.  Your final impedance of the crossover should be no lower than 4 to 6 ohms for quality car audio output from your amplifier.  It doesn't  make sense to use quality components and build it yourself only to run your amplifier at its dirtiest output.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic