the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

4 10 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

sprawl85 wrote:
Well I can get the Kappa perfects for 175 a pair, would the JL's sound better?

Better than a 10W1?  Not to my ears, but it really depends on the enclosure.  And where can you get two Kappa Perfects for $175?  Certainly not from an authorized dealer unless they are giving them away.

Support the12volt.com
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have a friend that works at fry's. I would get the warranty on them for 20 bucks each which would put that total up to 215 a pair. But fry's doesn't sell JL... so I would have to pay full cost at a local dealer. 110 a piece does sound about the same, are they a lot better than the infinity's?
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Like I said, IMO a Kappa Perfect and a W1 are similar but I think the Infinity has better SQ.  My only experience with them is my Kappa 12.1 in a sealed enclosure and a 12W1v2 in a ported enclosure.  The JL could get louder, but the Infinity sounded better.  YRMV.
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
By all acounts the infinity is a higher level sub than the JL is, however sound is a funny thing in that it all comes down to personal preference. I might love the sound of an infinity but you might listen to a JL or Alpine or whatever and to you it sounds better. Well since its your car, my opinion doesnt mean shhh and you should get whatever sub you want
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
The Kappa Perfect IMO, but listen to Ravendarat.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
DYohn 
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

bobditts wrote:
ofcourse the infinity would sound better than the JL if you are comparing sealed to ported. That doesnt mean the sub is better. All you were able to compare was the encosure. you need to compare each sub in a sealed encosure.

Actually you are wrong, as a properly designed ported enclosure can sound much better (or at least just as good) than a properly designed sealed enclosure as it can have much deeper low-end extension with the same woofer.  The problem is most car audio enclosures (especially prefab ones) are not properly designed.  It is not about getting loud.

The JL W1 is not a very impressive speaker in my book.  The Kappa Perfect is much better sounding IMO.  JL makes some very impressive sounding speakers, but the W1 is not one of them.

Support the12volt.com
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well I don't like the look of the JL anyways.  Is there anything from resonant engineering that would fit my criteria, or are they all priced too high
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
DYohn 
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

bobditts wrote:
my point was that you should compare subs that are in different boxes.

And I disagree with you.  You should evaluate any speaker in the enclosure it works best in.

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Once again though, as Dyohn said, compare the subs in their best enclosure. If a sub is recomended to be used in a small sealed box than you wouldnt ever want to use it in a ported box so why test it that way. If a sub is best in a large ported box or free air then test it as such, thats the way to get the best results. Then you leave no argument as to the box being the factor in one sub preforming better than another, because you are using WHAT THE MANUFACTURE SAID WAS THE VERY BEST FOR THEIR PRODUCT, and if they then say its because you didnt have or driver in a ported box or whatever then the blame goes back to them for loosing a customer as they obviously f'ed up their R&D on their own product
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
i would demo as many subs as you can with  a cd that you listen to often . and make a chioce on what sounds the best to you.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic