icon

Kicker or Eclipse?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bootanger 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, i work at CC and we started carrying Eclipse...but we also carry kicker. I want to know your opinion if i should get two Kicker L7 12 or 10 inch, or two Eclipse Sps122(i think that was the model, the better eclipse subs) or two 10's of that...and if i should get an eclipse amp or kicker? Post your suggestions
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Well, the kicker sub should move a little more air in the same size because of its square design, but the eclipse will make up for that in quality. Make a decision, do you want loud muddy bass(kicker), or loud punch in the chest bass(eclipse)?  Definately go Eclipse amp tho, there is no comparision between the quality of Eclipse and Kicker in that department.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Kicker or Eclipse is like comparing McDonalds to a fine resturaunt.  Kicker is mass-market quality.  Eclipse is audiophile quality.  Do you want hamburger or steak?
Support the12volt.com
bootanger 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Ya, i think ill do eclipse. I get 60% off, it will still be pricy but worth it. For the Sw9122 series or Swp102 series subs, RMS 750 watt at 4ohms, what kind of amp from eclipse? or Kicker (i know you said eclipse amps were better, but the kicker...kv750.1 i think would be could, RMS would match perfectly...). I dunno, im willing to do whatever u guys suggest.  I also dont know if i should run one amp to each sub, or get  a big enough amp to run both at the same time. Also, for pushing that much power do you think i will need bigger then  a 2 farad cap? I have another amp for the components to, i was just thinking of mabye getting another, or is this a way to possible add an extra battery? Sorry for the many questions, thanks for the help guys! (im an amtuer, but my friends from the store are helping me install it, but i just want the professionals opinions..not that they arent professionals..)
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Go for whatever sub you have room for, the added cone area of the 12 will be louder for shure, there wont be a sound difference between the 10 and 12 as some amatures may say, so if you can fit the 12 in the proper box ( approx 1.25 cu.ft sealed) go for it.  As for powering the sub look into the DA7122 if you get one sub, or the DA7232 if you get 2, BUT with this much power you MUST get an aftermarket high output alternator for your veh such as one from www.ohiogen.com, www.mechman.com, or http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm , there are other companys out there too that have come good alts for decent prices, but stay away from re-wound alternators, they tend to over heat and melt.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

Use the Eclipse DA7232 for a pair of those big nasty beast of a sub and call it a day. Kicker or Eclipse? -- posted image.

The other option is to drop back one level in the subs into the aluminum cone series, the SW8200 which is  a single 4 ohm coil. You can then use a single DA7122 amplifier on a pair of the subs. It will be way more than loud enough and give you tonal response that will leave the Kicker hiding in the corner like a scared little child.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
let that be an indicator for all you CC shoppers... staff gets 60% OFF..... and i'm sure they are not buying AT COST...so you know what they are making when you start to shop    lol
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
While the original poster should not have included this kind of information that Kevin has alluded to above (bootanger you should know better, please keep industry info to yourself), It is 60% off of suggested retail (which CC can make up any price that they want). It should be noted that very very few companies actually sell at full suggested retail, most are way under full suggested retail.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Kicker or Eclipse is like comparing McDonalds to a fine resturaunt.  Kicker is mass-market quality.  Eclipse is audiophile quality.  Do you want hamburger or steak?

How bout we all go to Steak-N-Shake and get a steakburger and call it a day? Kicker or Eclipse? -- posted image.

Go with Eclipse - your stomach will thank you. Kicker or Eclipse? -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
bootanger 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

the 60% off is from MSRP, therefore i dont get it off the best sale price from wherever...and its not really sensitive material Forbidden, in other words CC allows me to tell u, but not buy it for u..Kinda dumb, but actually is most likely dont to show the perks of the retail job, cuz they are always hiring because of high turn over (like any company)..but if u think its a big deal, then im sorry (: Andlike u said the money they make isnt that much, CC may sell a sub for 100 bucks, but buy it from the manu for 80, and allow staff to by it for 95..in store discount sucks, but some companies..such as eclipse, allow us to buy directly from the manu for well below what cc gets it for..anyways, i will need  a new alternator...hmm...sounds expensive...but ill look into it.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic